Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

96 ecu question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:38 PM

so i have been getting a P1650 and P1651 codes from a scanner talking about the quad block..my dad called the dealership and says that its a bad computer and they go out all the time in these cars

so my question is what year(s) ecu can i use for my 96 automatic SL1

Old 05-08-2007, 07:22 PM

DTC P1650 Control Module Output B Circuit
DTC P1651 Fan 1 Relay Control Circuit

You may have more than one issue with the above trouble codes including a possible faulty ECM but where to begin? Are you having overheating issues that may be due to the radiator fan being inoperative? A quad block reference is to the quad driver circuit that controls four individual electrical circuits such as the fan relay, a/c relay, EGR valve, and evaporative canisterrelay. Only one of these individual circuits has to be in error for some reason to trigger a trouble code. The two codes above may be for the same problem, a fan relay not working or missing. The last item, the ECM/PCM may be working properly but without more info it would be just guessing. There may be used ECM/PCM'savailable at your local junk yard for less costs than buying new beside the fact that ECM/PCM's rarely fail when most likely its the sensors that are electrically connected to them that causes engine problems.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM

the a/c doesnt work power windows sunroof and fan relay does not work

would that mean a new ecm pcm or ecu?

thanks for your help ducky!!!! its getting hot and my newborn can not withstand these temperatures

Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Go over to saturnfans.com and post your questions in the S-series forums, you'll receive more support there. If you decide to become a member it will help to add your car info as part of your profile so it won't need to be manually typed every time you ask for assistance.

ECM/ECU/PCM all mean the same, the electronic engine management system or EFI system controlling the engine and emission control system. The a/c is a very complicated system by itself and should be last on your list as much as you'd like a/c when the weather turns hot unless you're willing to turn to a pro for proper repairs, whatever they may be. The fan relay not working may be due to the infamous engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) failure. Its a two-wire sensor that is resin tipped, prone to cracking, and should be replaced with the brass one. The two-wire connector may be corroded and needs to be replaced if necessary.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:29 PM

It is very highly UNlikely the the PCM is bad. I have never heard of one instance where a PCM has actually gone bad on these cars.

Sounds like you have a fuse/relay issue or a connection issue at one of the fuse blocks.