Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

95 SL2 Electronic thermal problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Default 95 SL2 Electronic thermal problem ?

I have a 95 SL2, I have a problem that when my car sits without running, on days tha the air temp is 55-60 and above, windows up so the inside temp is 75 or greater or after the car has been running and the problem doesn't arise untill I shut the car off and try to restart. Now the problem: The car high idles (1800 or so}, air conditioner does not work, the speedometer does not work and in general the cars a pain to drive, surging and bucking when coasting. The problem doesn't go away untill the air temp and you dont drive the car for 1 hr or so??????????? I'm really leaning towards a PCM problem, because I've disconected other items under the hood and nothing made a differance.
ANY IDEAS?????

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Banned

OK - lemmie see if I understand this ...

When the car is cool or cold, it runs fine. When the car is warm or hot, if you turn the car off, then start it again in a few minutes, you have all these problems.

Here's a test to try ... go to RadioShack (or similar) and buy a can of coolspray (its in a hairspray-size can). Now, drive the car around, and get it warm enough to fail as you mentioned in your e-mail. With the engine off, spray the PCM thoroughly and wait 10 seconds, then try to start the car. If the car now works, you have found the problem ...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

ever cleaned your EGR valve?
Ever replace your coolant temp sensor (ECTS)?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. Let me follow up on things. The car can malfunction when the outside air temp or inside air temp is I would say 70 or above, without ever running the engine, and or on a 55-60 temp day, car runs great from the start, then I drive it, stop turn off car, restart engine and it will malfunction. Last night I tried spraying (not coolent spray , but contact cleaner) in PCM (batt. diconected) and started car back up. worked fine. But it was getting cool oout side, so that could have been it. I'll try again when I do have another failure. I have replaced temp sensor, EGR hasn't been cleaned for awhile. Give a day or so and we will see. THANKS ALL!!!! Keep ideas coming. Dan

Old 05-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Thank you OceanArcher, You have solved yet another tech. problem. Thanks It was the PCM. Even with contact cleaner it cools the PCM so it does not malfunction.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Damn OA, you're good....I usually reserve PCM as the last troubleshooting option -- but you were spot on......kudos

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

Thanks for the kudos, fellas, I appreciate it. Glad to hear you have it under control, and are back on the road -- enjoy............