Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

94' SL Doesn't start randomly

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Banned
Default 94' SL Doesn't start randomly

So about 11 months ago my car was stolen. Got it back about a month ago from impound and it was running awesome. Recently, as it's getting colder, it won't start sometimes. No dash lights, nothing, as if the battery is dead. I hold the key forward, and eventually after a few seconds i get power and she starts up fine. Also, when i'm driving while the car is still cold it will randomly shut off almost for a split second, resetting the stereo, turning off all the dash lights, making the car jump if I don't take it out of gear quickly before it clicks back on. My dad thinks it's the ignition and that the people who stole my car may have damaged it. Could it also be related to the stereo i just installed? I love this car but I have a feeling that when winter comes, it's going to be even more reluctant to start.

I have a manual 1994 SL Twin Cam with around 230k miles (odometer doesn't work) and the engine was rebuilt around 150k. It was owned by a mechanic before me and even after it was stolen, was still in seemingly awesome running shape.

Thanks, Nick.

Edit: Starts up fine later in the day after it's not running for a couple hours

Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM

It sounds ignition related to me, Nick, but I'm not a mechanic. Replacing the lock cylinder and key is pretty simple, but it may not be that. It could be in the switch itself. Search youtube for videos by richpin concerning the Saturns. He's got a ton of very helpful videos and that's where I watched how to replace my valve body and ignition lock cylinder and keys. IF you go to replace the lock cylinder and key switch, you'd damn sure better take a 5.5mm socket and grind it down or you'll get one stuck in there and never reach the screws out. The frigging socket will get stuck in the hole and then you're screwed. Don't ask how I know, but let's just sum it up to say I mad a trip to the junkyard after grinding a socket down and replacing the plastic cover around mine! LOL I have to laugh at myself, because I didn't take the dudes word for it. Oh, before sw2cam jumps you about it, please go to the userCP and fill in your name, car you drive and where you are. Joe doesn't like it if you don't do this. And go to the new member section and introduce yourself too. We're happy to help, but you gotta follow the rules! LMAO

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Banned

Bermingo ... welcome to the Forum

Rube has tagged the problem in my mind --> T'were my car, I'd replace the ignition switch itself.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be sure to check out those videos. Sorry about the neglect of the rules. I don't usually use forums and I kinda made this post in a hurry just before work.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 AM

No harm, no foul, man. Just be sure to come back and let us know what you find out. There are a lot of helpful members here, but we do appreciate feedback.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

I'm currently going to school so time and money are pretty tight. Ill be sure to post back when I try something though. Seems like ignitions are pretty cheap for my car and it's only getting colder here, so I don't have much room for procrastination lol

Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM

This is what I'm referring to. As you can see, it's not the key. I'm not sure of your zip code, so I just punched in 55401. I THINK that's a Minnesota zip, but it's been years since I worked an overnight delivery business and my memory isn't all that great.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=190276_0_0_