Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

92 SL1 lost power then died

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM

i thought about the oil/locking up....but I double checked that after i installed the new starter. Hopefully the Haines Repair Manual shows how to check the timing belt.

...hope your wife gets better soon.
if momma's not happy...no one is happy.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM

is there a way to tell if the timing chain is broken? i dont think it will help to remove the valve covers so see if the engine is turning because i've already tried turning the engine manually with no luck and it will not start.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM

broke down and had it towed to a mechanic....he just called and says the engine is seized. he thinks it blew a piston. so now it needs a new (or used) engine. damn shame because the body and interior are in really good shape. but still not worth the cost of a new engine.

i got the car in 1994 and i've kept it running myself all this time. my plan was to have my son use it all through high school. he's got one more month left to graduate high school...so i guess i accomplished that...pretty much. i got some damn good years out of that car...and my son did as well. now its a nice big paper weight.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Cadman, instead of looking at it as a paperweight, how about a father/son bonding project getting a decent used motor from the same year and dropping it in there together?
If you guys do it right and be selective about who you buy from, you could have that Saturn back on the road for your son for less than about $700...depending on your mechanical ability, of course...but from what I'm gleaning from your posts it seems you have some wrenching skills, having kept that bugger alive since '94....
Here in the Bay Area we can come up with a decent used motor for that car for about $500, complete motor, not a long block....a matter of getting the wires hooked up in the right place, adding oil and turning the key...
Think about it..

Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM

timmerz...

you're right. its actually a great opportunity for us to work on a project together. I'd have to tackle it pretty soon....he's off to college in one month and will only be home on breaks. But i don't mind working on it myself. I do have some wrenching skills but this is a very intimidating job to tackle. Just the thought of removing one engine and installing another scares the crap out of me. Using the Haines repair manual...and the help of everyone on this forum, i've tackled repairs on this car i never thought i could handle. But this is far beyond that. I'm def willing to try, i'm just afraid that i'll get into something thats way over my head.

I'm gonna start my research and find out all i can about how its done. Any pointers/resources/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Perhaps this can turn into something that others can use (i'll take lots of pics and notes).

I've already gotten a quote from a local repair shop to replace the engine...
$3,200.00 the car is not worth that cost...even thought the body and interior are in good shape. but its worth it to me if I can do this myself. besides....theres a bit of sentimental value in it for me as well.

So...i'm starting my research now. #1 where to find an engine that is complete like you mentioned.

Thanks...and please, anyone, chime in with advice or anything that can help.

cadman

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM

You can get a complete engine at the pull a part in Nashville for under $200. I'd definitely go the route of an engine swap if it were mine. Nobody's a pro the first time, but with the help you can get from this forum, I'm sure you can do it yourself.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 AM

I have a similar place here in Tampa, Fl...where you pull parts yourself. They also have parts that they pull for you. I'll start there and see if the have a complete engine. Just realized i'm gonna need some kind of hoist to pull the engine out. I don't think my wife would like it if I rigged up something to the garage ceiling lol

Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM

i think i read somewhere that i can use parts from any 1991 thru 1994 saturn. Is that correct? i see the TWIN CAM that looks similar. can i also use parts from those as well?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM

ok...i found a place nearby that has the engine for 600.00 but i have a few questions (i've asked them but i'm waiting a reply)

when you buy an engine...are there some parts that you are supposed to transfer from the old engine? what parts does the new engine come with?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

I'd check with u-pull-it yards along the Florida/Georgia border, you might get a better price ...

Quick Reply: 92 SL1 lost power then died