Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

220K Plus on timing chain, Time to Change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 AM
Question 220K Plus on timing chain, Time to Change?

Now that I've got my van running again (jumping for joy) I'm hoping to get more maintenance work done on that poor SW2.

I've read here that the original timing chain usually lasts around 100K miles before starting to wear out. Since this is an interference engine I certainly wouldn't want to wait until it goes so it's important to be proactive on this.
That being said mine hasn't made any noise so far (which seems to be the normal indicator of a worn chain) but here we are at over 220K miles.
I bought the car with 110K on it already and considering that the mileage has been doubled and the chain's still holding up I guess that the original owner had replaced the chain already (maybe that's why they sold it?). Then again, this engine had been well maintained by the original owner. Could it be possible that I've got a 220K mile timing chain?

My point is, I really don't feel comfortable continuing to run this chain much longer (the cost of breakage is too high). I thought I'd ask for some input here before I go about replacing it. Who here has done a replacement and what gotchas do I need to look out for? I'm more than capable of doing all my own work but experience has taught me that working on the timing side of a transverse mounted engine can get "interesting". It usually leaves me wondering if I should have just pulled the engine and done it on a stand. The only problem with that is I don't have a way to do that without going to a lot of trouble so that's why I'm here.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 AM

I want to add that this Saturn is my daily driver and other than that funky 3 to 2 shift runs and drives great.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:31 AM

I was just digging through this site looking at timing chain posts and came across my own from Dec. 2016.
I had just replaced the water pump with a cheap Chinese AutoZone part and was thinking I would probably have to replace it again in a year and do the timing chain at the same time. It's been a year and a half and that cheap water pump is still holding up along with the timing chain. In hindsight I still think that was a good plan though and I probably should just plan on pulling the engine to save time and trouble. The trouble is rounding up my hoist and stand - they are at a friend's house 50 miles away and his engine is still on the stand (after 4 years of waiting for me to help him put it in his truck).

Old 06-23-2018, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Not to get off topic, but I have a 95sc2 I need to either retime one of the cams or do a complete timing set replacement on.

I think you'll agree the biggest concern is working space.

In theory, you can undo the upper and lower torque axis mounts on the pass side and dogbone on the top driver side.

I THINK you could then attach a support bar across the top and lift n tilt as much as you can safely with out putting strain on the torque converter or tranny.

I have NOT EVER TRIED THIS.

Anyone have access to the all data write up for this?

Old 06-23-2018, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

I have replaced chains on an L61 in chassis a couple of times. I have a hoist! It is up and down many times! I have never replaced the chain on a S series, though I would imagine it is a similar job. Maybe I should buy a Sc2 something just to check it out. I don’t know I kind of like the L series cars.