Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   2002 SL2 Auto Transmission (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/2002-sl2-auto-transmission-7669/)

daydp2 03-20-2013 01:04 PM

2002 SL2 Auto Transmission

My friend lost 3 and 4 gear to his transmission, so he parked it and shopped around for another tranny. He found a used 1996 transmission locally and I have been helping with the swap.

My question or delema is the Neutral/ Park safety switch connectors have exposed wires. To the point that the 5 to 6 inches of wire past the connector is bare wire on all 6 wires. Has anyone else seen of such issue and causing a transmission problem.

-Dwayne

OceanArcher 03-20-2013 02:50 PM

Hmmmm -- I'd hate to have them all "bump together" at once ....

Rubehayseed 03-20-2013 04:58 PM

I'd suggest either trying to find another harness at a salvage yard or buying some heat shrink and insulating the wires. I'd tape them individually first and then put the shrink on them.

daydp2 03-21-2013 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a couple of replacement harnesses at (LINK HAS BEEN REMOVED). Two of them cost $100 plus shipping. They are going to come with higher grade wire as well as 8 inches in length to assist in the repair.

Rubehayseed 03-21-2013 03:08 PM

Yep, looking at the photo, I'd have to say you definitely need the new harness'. There's no way I'd even turn my key to the start position with bare wires like those. Let us know how the new ones work out for you.

daydp2 03-22-2013 10:32 AM

Got the new connectors

1 Attachment(s)
They came in yesterday morning and was able to install them prior to running to work at noon. The third connector had enough decent wire at the connector so I just soldered in some 16 gage that I had from a previous project.

Rubehayseed 03-23-2013 08:15 AM

The big question is whether or not it's up and running and back on the road yet?

OceanArcher 03-23-2013 09:51 AM

Make sure all those soldered connections are environmentally tight and insulated. Would be frustrating to have things go "blooie" after all that work ...

daydp2 03-24-2013 11:16 PM

The soldered connections are water tight with the heat shrink I put on them.
It is not back on the road yet. I had a busy Saturday with other things and found the old Neutral safety switch was bad and the one from the junk yard was cracked but passed the rigging set up in the manual. With it cracked there was exposed wires and possibly failing later. Found some 2 part plastic epoxy at home improvement store and applied it to create insulation and rigidity. The cure time is 24 hours from last night. It is hard as a rock right now and will have time to work on the car tomorrow morning.

daydp2 03-27-2013 04:01 PM

I got the car up and running on Monday morning and spent the afternoon cleaning up waiting for my friend. So far with all the fluids at the proper level and haven't driven it since Monday the car has been up shifting hard, but down shifting smoothly. So far I had a transmission tech tell me that I should drive it again a little longer to get the computer to reset.

Any thoughts?