Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2000 saturn cooling fan issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Default 2000 saturn cooling fan issues

Question: I have a 2000 saturn sl1 with a cooling fan issue..The fan will not come on when engine temp guage registers hot and it will not come on when A/C has been turned on. I have hard wired the fan and confirmed it works. I have also checked the cooling fan relay and fuses and confirmed they are all fine.. What else is left to check..

Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

Since you have already done some work in this area, I would suspect that either (1) there is a defective (broken) wire from the fan relay to the fan itself; (2) there is a connection problem at the junction block holding the fan relay (try pressing, reseating the connectors); (3) the control signal wire from the computer to the fan relay is defective (broken) -- note that this is a different wire than what I mentioned before.

Oh, and please, there is no reason to double post .......

Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Since you have already done some work in this area, I would suspect that either (1) there is a defective (broken) wire from the fan relay to the fan itself; (2) there is a connection problem at the junction block holding the fan relay (try pressing, reseating the connectors); (3) the control signal wire from the computer to the fan relay is defective (broken) -- note that this is a different wire than what I mentioned before.

Oh, and please, there is no reason to double post .......

Thanks for getting back to me. I will check the wiring to see if there may be a loose or broken wire not making connection..Just a question. Do you have have the Headlight bulbs and side running light bulbs installed in order to complete the circuit for the cooling fan. It appears all the wires are grouped together in a wiring harness in the general area. I dont think that is an issue but right now I have all the headlight bulbs taken out while i was working on the front end. I hit a deer a couple of months ago and sicne then the fan no longer works.. I may have broken a wire somewhere

Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

No, the lights are not required to enable the fan to run, however, there is a common ground in that area that services the electrical items at that side of the car. Make sure you have a good ground from the fan to the engine block (or similar)