Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2 working windows....blah.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Default 2 working windows....blah.

My 99 SL2 has only 2 windows proving to me that they do indeed serve a purpose. My passenger front and driver side rear are inoperable. I don't care much about the one behind me, but it's really lame not being able to have my two front windows down on a nice and breezy day. So...I'm wanting to replace the passenger side front window. I saw a window motor that fits my car, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what I should be purchasing/replacing? When it first stopped working properly, it would sometimes get stuck (halfway up or down), but whenever I would start my car the next day...Cha Ching! ...it was working again. This went on for about 2 months until it wouldn't budge anymore, but it still made this buzzing/motor-ish running sound whenever I would push on the button to roll it down. This went on for about another 3 months, and now it does nothing. No sounds, no movement. So, I'm thinking it's the window motor? Does anyone know what all a window fix entails? Does this sound like it's the motor, and do I need to order anything in addition to the window motor? I Really appreciate everyone's help!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 AM

You can find video on youtube. Replacing the window, window motor or window lift mechanism will all entail taking the door skin off. You cannot remove the interior door panel from the inside like on most cars. I highly recommend you watch a video or two before trying this. Silly question, though, have you checked your fuse box for a popped or corroded fuse?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Take the door skin off of the outside of the car. Once off take a look at what's going on. Use a test light to see if it has power. Knowing what's wrong is the first step to know what fixing it "entails".

Or, and there is always an or...........Buy a part and if that doesn't fix it buy another part. Keep doing that until you finally get the correct part.

Last edited by sw2cam; 08-08-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 AM
Cool Door skin? Yikes.

Thanks for the help! Two sentences in...I kinda started thinking....maybe I ought not be a "do-it-myselfer" on this one, but that initial thought has passed. I'm all in! Have i checked the fuse box...not at all a silly question when it's directed towards me. Where exactly is this fuse box, and what signs should I look for? I'm thinking I can start there...and then keep ordering parts until it works again! I'm always pumped to put my tool collection to use, so thanks again for the help on this! Oh and the help with my speakers! I installed them other day and they are amazing! I really wanted to be able to see them instead of putting them behind the lame-o door panels, but it was easier that way...a few drill holes and cha-ching! I felt like a pro for that brief period of time! Thanks!

Last edited by Erika87; 08-09-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 AM

Virginia, check this video out.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Default Done and...done!

Thanks for the video! I can totally make that happen! Weekend project it is! I did check the fuses, they're all good so skin is comin off! This is great! I'm beginning to think there will come a day when nothing on/in my car will need fixing!....oh wait, it's a Saturn...weekend projects for life! Thank you!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Good luck with it. Be sure to let us know if you get it fixed.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Had same problem with my 2000 LS2. 1 window stopped working. Then all 4. Took it to mechanic, he put fuses in (fuse box under the hood). It works again. I should have saved me the money and done it myself. $100. Hope that helps.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM

FUSES: Two locations, underhood, under dash right side center console.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Unhappy uuhghh! And the hood-propping (not just popping) strikes again!!!

Okay, before I delve into my punctually problematic nightmare of a Saturn (AKA Hank), i just wanna say thanks again for all of your feedback on the windows! I did locate both of the junction blocks this morning, and all of my fuses are good to go. I also read in my manual that the only scenario in which a blown fuse would be the culprit is if all of the windows stopped working at once. So since two of mine are still working, Hank's strippin some skin tomorrow! Thanks again for the video! Ok, on my way to work this afternoon my service light popped on (says SERVICE with a little wrench beside it). It's also taking a long time to switch gears, and I know Hank's got some miles on him( 209,502 to be exact) but I also just shelled out 6 to 7 thousand dollars having a rebuilt engine put in. Do not ever let a friend "help you out"!!!! $950 for a rebuilt engine with 175,000 miles on it, yeeeah you don't even need to say it, $600 for this "friend" to then put it in, ha! Oh, and $289 A WEEK on a rental car for 4 months. My car was then brought to me leaking oil, all the lights flashing inside, and plastic under body parts in the trunk. Did I mention it wouldn't start 2 days later when trying to take it to another mechanic? $75 in towing (3 times total), it was the alternator, got a new one, got new breaks & passed inspection, that ordeal was $430. If it wasnt clear why I'm now pimping Hank out on my own, it should be now. So....now what! It's also not wanting to go, really slackin in the take-off department. It's a slow car in the first place but it's a snail as of now. A guy i work with brought his diagnostic tool and this was the reading: P0410 secondary air injection system malfunction. What can i do? At this point, im too far in with repairs and money, Hank is getting fixed one way or another! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: 2 working windows....blah.