Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1999 Saturn SL 1 rattles constantly

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:18 AM
Banned
Question 1999 Saturn SL 1 rattles constantly

I drive a 1999 Saturn SL 1 with 192,000+ miles. When the car is running there is a constant rattle in the front end. The sound can be heard very well from inside the car. The rattle is louder if the car is in drive but stopped. Before I start digging around in the front end, I wanted to ask if anyone else has seen/heard of this problem and knows what may be the issue? The car originally was my wifes, and she swears that the car has had a mild rattle since she has got it (2009), but it's gotten worse since then. The issue has persisted through all of the tire replacements, brakes changes, wheel bearing replacements, etc.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Perhaps a belt tensioner? Bearings DO go bad sometimes. Also, is it more noticeable with the a/c on or pretty much the same whether it's on or off? Please go to the new member section and introduce yourself. You'll get more feedback that way.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Banned

The noise continues regardless of the air conditioner being on, although it does get a little quieter.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:29 AM

Then I'd suggest removing the belts and spinning each pulley by hand. I'm still thinking it's a tensioner. BUT keep in mind, I'm NOT an ASE certified mechanic. Just an old shade tree and not a very good one. I've just kept my own cars going for 45 years or so.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

does it rattle w the hood up and when closed?
If it rattles w the hood up, which area is it coming from? Driver front/firewall, Passenger front / firewall, by the pulleys, valve cover. Or is it down low?

Have you ever replaced the upper torque axis mount on this vehicle?
The AC Delco stock ones usually last about 100-150K. Then you start getting vibrations transmitted to the cabin especially at idle in park or neutral.

When you put it in drive, the RPMs drop and resonance actually gets stronger so the vibrations get stronger. It might sound like I'm wandering off topic, but it may be that the upper mount is shot and the engine is movin around in there a bit too wildly. ANYTHING attached to it might therefore rattle, including things attached to the frame only since you have lost most of the vibration isolation betw engine and frame.

Standard test is to use a ballpoint pen and try to slip it between the top metal arch of the mount and the rubber below it. If the pen fits through, replace the mount. Also, check for torn or disconnected rubber.

I have heard many a nasty story about aftermarket mounts. I use only the OEM mounts. Also suggest new studs and nuts. Saturn kept changing the design of these mounts which sometimes changed the length of the studs required to attach them. Just make sure you get studs that match the design of your mount

Last edited by derf; 07-05-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Banned

Derf that was a lot of information! I won't have time until this weekend to mess with the car much. When I get a chance I will lift the hood and listen a bit more. I noted today that the noise is coming from the center or mid-passenger side of the car, and almost sounds like it is just behind the dash. The car does vibrate quite a bit, so the theory about the engine mount could hold very true!

Being behind the dash makes it seem like it may also be a pulley issue, so I'll get the belt off this weekend and spin it a few times. Thanks for that option, Rubehayseed!

I'll have to check all of this out when I can this weekend.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Default mount

Probably a mount. There's one that when it goes bad doesn't result in things moving around too noticably but causes vibrations to be transmitted in a major way. Got that going on with mine right now.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:06 PM

While your at the front of the car checking your mounts, check your headlamps for s+g's. Mine always made a constant rattle from them (pretty sure they were aftermarket from an mild accident earlier in its life) The poly motor mounts didnt help. My hood prop holder also broke and that would rattle around too.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 AM
Banned

Sorry it's taken time to get back on here. Busy week. The results of this weekend were odd. The motor mounts need replaced. The top one is the first on the list. That should help reduce some of the vibrations in the car, and may be the main culprit of the rattle.

I also noticed that the passenger side headlight is loose. That may also be the cause of the constant rattle. Until I can tighten/replace the screws, I'm going to slide a piece of cardboard under the light and see if it stops the noise.

Everything else inside the hood seems fine, although there is a lot that I can't get to at the moment. I also checked odd things like the windshield wipers and the front doors to ensure that they were tight. I'm planning to remove the cover on the passenger side front door at some point to tighten the window handle (it is obviously loose and has been for years *Not the cause of the rattle though *).

As I tinker, I will keep you all updated!

Old 07-15-2016, 04:20 PM

Also check the exhaust system heat shields. I have a loose one which rattles and it took forever for me to figure that one out. The rattle ran through the pipe to the front and rear of the car.

Quick Reply: 1999 Saturn SL 1 rattles constantly