Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1998 SL2 Ignition will not turn and can not remove the key.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Default 1998 SL2 Ignition will not turn and can not remove the key.

Did a search, but did really find an answer to my question. Here is my issue, when I turn the car off, and leave the key in the ignition more then 10 secs, the key gets stuck, cannot turn or remove the key. Most of the time I can get to come out, but now I cant. This is what it is doing right now, I can move the steering wheel from left to right, most of the times, sometimes it locks, then it will unlock after turning it. The key has been stuck for a day now, I'm thinking its the ignition module, so how can I bypass this, so I can remove the key?

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM

I don't think it's your ignition module, but I'm not a mechanic and only had my Saturn for a short time. It sounds to me like some of the tumblers in the key switch are worn out and have dropped and locked the switch. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will respond soon.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 PM

I pretty much agree with Ruby. Mine is a 94 and it has long since been placed in the drive it sometimes group which has a tendency to let things build up over time. I have found it to be increasingly difficult to remove the key. The key locking gizmo is part of the steering lock which seems to have material in it that corrodes over time worse than other cars I have. This makes it difficult to release the key when the steering wheel gets into a lock mode.
The steering wheel must be locked to release the key. If for example the tires are partially turned with some pressure applied to the steering wheel to have them partially turned. Once the steering wheel is locked it seems to act like it jams the key release gizmo's.
No I have not taken it apart to see exactly how it works.
I have taken others apart though.
Trying to release the tension by tugging on the steering wheel seems to be the best solution but tugging and jerking on it are not the same thing.
It might also help to work some WD 40 penetrating oil next to the key to help lubricate the lock mechanism. It will be difficult because the key is there. The spray function of the WD 40 can makes it easier to do that.
If you can worry the key out putting some synthetic motor oil in the key position might help.
Synthetics actually work pretty good for an application like this and motor oil is a good source.
If you can move the steering wheel easily, it is not locked. If it is not locked the key will not come out.
The transmission wants to be in park when this takes place. if an automatic. All of these things have moving parts that have to move easily to get the key out. As this is something that is accumulating over time, moving parts might be corroded and causing problems.