Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1997 SL2 Service with Wrench Symbol

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Default 1997 SL2 Service with Wrench Symbol

Right now all I can say is AAARRRGGGHHH. I have tried just about everything I can possibly think of and still have not had much success in figuring out and correcting what is causing the 'SERIVCE' with the wrench symbol to become illuminated on my 1997 Saturn SL2.

First off there are no codes in the computer, the computer is clean, not only have I checked it but also a local tire and auto shop and a local GM dealer.

Second, the light does not immediately turn on after you start the car. Most times it occurs after 5 seconds, but there are some times when it takes as long as 20 seconds. Then of course one day it did not turn on at all.

Third, the factory manual for the car says that this 'SERVICE' with a wrench symbol is only illuminated if there is a non emissions problem with the automobile.

Which brings us to all the questions that I have.

1. What all is considered a non emissions problem?
cruise control- Dont have the servo or the computer or contoller for this.
ABS - Dont have traction control so dont have ABS system.
Air Bags - Well it could be here but I dont know. I can tell you when looking at the SIR in my scanner the drivers airbag resistance is 2.14 ohms and the passenger side air bag resistance is 2.31 ohms. Now I have been told that normal air bag resistance is between 2 and 3 ohms. Since both vaules are between that I would think it is working properly.
Body Computer - I am told that this year, make model did not have a body computer so that leaves that out.
Instrument Cluster Lamps - I have taken out the instrument cluster and went through and replaced ever single lamp. And some bad sockets. I can using my scan tool turn on and off lamps. SO I know all of them are working properly now. I also have walked the perimeter of the car and made sure all exterior lights work. And finally I have checked all lights in and around the dashboard and the shifter. Everything seems to be properly working.

Other ideas that some have given but I highly doubt: Gas cap, EGR valve, Charcoal Canister - To me these are all emission related so that should leave them out. Also was given the idea of oil duration timer. After some posting and such was told this was not a feature on the 1997 SL2.

The car starts, runs and shift beautiful. It is just this annoying little light. And if it is an issue it is something I want to fix before it turns to a bigger issue.

Somebody must have some details on this telltale light and what is behind the scenes.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

for the record, my 95 SC2 has abs but not traction control -- not sure if they are married to each other

Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Does the regular SES light operate as it should?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM

@derf - On one of the forums for saturns someone once posted that if you dont have traction control you dont have ABS. I was not sure of their statement so I did some checking. A tech at the local gm garage and my one friend who has his own shop both said look in the owners manual it will tell you if you have ABS. So I looked in the owners manual and it states, 'If you have traction control you have ABS, if you do not have traction control then you do not' So I am taking it from the poster on the forum site and from the owners manual of the auto that I do not have ABS.

@hoseppi - Yes the SES/MIL light does work as it should. I have even purposely caused faults that generate codes. And when there is a code in the computer this light does indeed function properly. I can also turn on and off any light on the dashboard using my scan tool. So I know for certain that all lights on instrument cluster do indeed function properly. I also have been around the perimeter of the car and made sure all lights are functional there. So my guess is it is not a faulty light that is causing the SERVICE with wrench symbol to become illuminated.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

my comment was for a 95--- maybe it got implemented differently in the 2nd gen coupes (97-99) cause my 97 has both but my 95 most definitely has abs with no traction control (drive it in the winter and you'll agree). There's also no TRAC button with a cool amber light on it on the center console.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 AM

@derf - Yes you are right, with the way they change and impliment things from year to year, or in some cases even the 1/2 years, one never knows what to expect. So it is possible they in the first generation they put the ABS, but in later models made it an option and only available with certain other features.

Not exactly sure what this traction control is or even why they only mated it with ABS on the 97. Kind of strange you would thing they would want ABS on all models.

Still have not figured out why the lamp is on that is the reasoning for this forum post. I am trying something this weekend, I am swapping out the instrument cluster. Just to see what happens then. Probably nothing but hey I am just about willing to try anything to figure this out.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Ok folks here is the latest update. I am not sure what was wrong with the instrument cluster. I purchased a used cluster, and just so that everything would be equal I took all the bulbs out of the old cluster and installed them in the same exact location on the replacement cluster.

Using scan tool tested all lights, all still functioned properly, put dash back together, now the SERVICE with wrench symbol light is not on any longer. Scan tool is saying that it is off and is not being commanded on.

SO whatever the problem it had to be in the cluster. Either way at least now it is fixed.

A new issues arose and this has to do with a code that just has shown up recently. It might have been a fluke but I want to be prepared in case it is not.

Error code P0141 I know it is one of the O2 sensors. But which one?

Thanks and have a great day.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

p0141 indicates problem with rear 02 sensor. Check wiring first; clear and drive 51 miles and see if it comes back.

Recommend using a Denso replacement -- can be had online for reasonable price.
Perform replacement on a warm exhaust.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM

my 1999 sl2 is doing the same thing

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

ok then

Quick Reply: 1997 SL2 Service with Wrench Symbol