Battery put in backwards

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:07 AM
Default Battery put in backwards

I put my battery in backwards in my 2005 Saturn Relay 2. Now there is no power in the vehicle. No dash lights, no response to anything.
there are no blown fuses, I have 12 volts on the battery, I just replaced it last month, there is power to the alternator and power to the starter. But no power to the dash for the key to work.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

You likely fried some or all.of the electronics (ECM, BCM) that control.eerything from the lights to the engine.

Power to the starter is great, but if the electronic brain that tells the starter relay to close is fried, the starter enable relay never closes and the starter never spins.
The alternator generates current and sends it to the car's modules while also charging the battery. It sends current. It doesn't receive. The 12v you measure is simply.the other end of a cable connected directly to the battery.

The lack of inside lights and dash lights points toward the BCM either not getting any power or being damaged or both.
Be sure to pull out the BCM fuses and check them with your meter. Pull each of the fuses when checking.

And please do not make multiple posts all over the forum for the same issue. I'm answering the one in the relay section because that's where it belongs. Thank you.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 AM
Default Battery in backwards

Originally Posted by derf
You likely fried some or all.of the electronics (ECM, BCM) that control.eerything from the lights to the engine.

Power to the starter is great, but if the electronic brain that tells the starter relay to close is fried, the starter enable relay never closes and the starter never spins.
The alternator generates current and sends it to the car's modules while also charging the battery. It sends current. It doesn't receive. The 12v you measure is simply.the other end of a cable connected directly to the battery.

The lack of inside lights and dash lights points toward the BCM either not getting any power or being damaged or both.
Be sure to pull out the BCM fuses and check them with your meter. Pull each of the fuses when checking.

And please do not make multiple posts all over the forum for the same issue. I'm answering the one in the relay section because that's where it belongs. Thank you.
where would the BCM be located? Is that the one that you must take the dash apart fot?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I know nothing about the layout of the Relay, but I believe it is built on a platform identical to other GM vehicles of the era.
If you are going to try to tackle this yourself, DO SOME PROPER TROUBLESHOOTING before condemning any part of the vehicle.

My information above about the BCM is a GUESS. I can't see or touch the car.

New BCM's are almost impossible to find and atr VERY expensive, so I don't want you to spend $500 to $700 on a guess. Could also be something that got burned under the fuse box and the car is not receiving a 12V feed to the BCM.

Hence the need for methodical rational troubleshooting. Shotgunning parts will leave you with no money to spend on the real problem once you find it, I'm not implying you are doing that now --just meant as a friendly warning.

Go buy a Chilton's or Haynes manual for the Relay. It may also cover other GM vehicles as referenced above. Prob 15 bucks, but shows you what is where and should include wiring diagrams that let you trace where power is reaching and where it is not.

Please let us know.

Sorry if I'm coming off as gruff -- having a realy bad month......