2009 Outlook XR Intermittent vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Default 2009 Outlook XR Intermittent vibration

When I am cruising at highway speeds I notice the tach bouncing slight 300 to 500 rpm up and down. Every so often there will be a low pitch rumble that will last for a few seconds with no real rhyme or reason. I cannot feel it in the accelerator or seat, it just kind of resonates through out the cab. It will stop after a few seconds or after i either let off or increase he accelerator. It also hesitates going up inclines at low speeds.
No tranny codes, had transfer case serviced, replaced rear shocks, and tune up done- no improvement
151,000 miles on vehicle

Old 03-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Check to see if you're having a similar experience to these owners.

Saturn Outlook Problems | CarComplaints.com

Old 03-11-2016, 09:28 AM

I did look through that earlier, did not see anything similar to my problem.

Thank you

Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

No double posting please.
Also, registering under multiple usernames is a big no-no, jabeu.

Bump your own thread if you're that impatient.

Thank you

Old 03-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I must have fallen asleep and never posted the response I had typed to this. Sorry.

Do you get shift flares from 3 rd to 4th and/or 5th to 6th and/or any problems with reverse?

Sounds like it MAY be a variant of the 3 5 R waveplate failure in the 6T70 and 6T75 transmission. Mine (2008 Saturn Vue XR) would kinda hesitate going into 3rd from 2nd gear (late shift at higher than normal RPM) with the eventual result being the tranny finally upshifting but not smoothly. Same thing 4th to 5th. I can see this being exacerbated on an incline where it prob just doesn't want to upshift.

I have never heard of a bouncing tach as part of this problem.
Is the engine rpm actually changing (can you hear it), or is it just the needle?
Also, how long of a time scale are we talking....3 seconds, 10 seconds, 1 minute for the tach boucing?

The other thing that comes to mind is that the torque converter may be slipping. When the 35R waveplate breaks, it can send metal debris throughout the system, including the torque converter, which can then also get damaged.

Codes are not always set because operational parameters do not necessarily go out of spec -- although it drives like crap.

As for the rumble -- anyone's guess but likely related since it seems tied to accelerator movement
Ca

Last edited by derf; 03-11-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:51 PM

I do not notice any late or rough shifting, but i will keep a closer eye out for it. The tach timing is up and right back down within a second. When it does it i can feel it in the vehicle.
I was thinking it could be a torque converter problem as well.
I did a tranny fluid drain and refill this weekend, would i see debris in the fluid if it is a wave plate problem.

Not sure what you mean by bump the thread. Sorry, there was a problem with my other credentials. It would not let me log in.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

In other vehicles the brake light switch will unlock the torque converter. If the switch is very touchy or if you brake with your left foot this can happen on bumpy roads.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. Never would have even thought to think about that (brake light switch).

Can't say for sure what you'd see in the fluid.

However, if you're not noticing the shift "flares" I described, it likely is not a 3-5-R issue

Old 03-17-2016, 09:28 AM

Shifting is good. Tried it in manual as well. Going to make appointment with dealer next week. I will keep everyone updated as to what they find.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Just got the word from the dealer. My torque convertor is failing.
$2,000 to repair, but with history on these transmissions they recommend transmission replacement $4,800.

Going to check some local transmission shops, anyone know what is a good price to expect?

Quick Reply: 2009 Outlook XR Intermittent vibration