new temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM

So i had a temp sensor (cel) on, and replaced it, when i put the new on oni put some teflon tape on it scince it was brass going into alum.I re-connected thebattery,so the light would reset,Got it installed turned car on and put in new coolant. i let it get to temp, and washed the car while it was running. all conections were good, and no light back on.

so i turn it off go inside eat lunch and come back out to run an errand, turn the car on and no light. sweet. back out of the drive way, drive to the stop sign at the end of the street and BANG check engine light on.

WTF man Edited by: Ragged

Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

OK ... when you got to the end of the street, did your gage show you were up to temp? You had been running at idle when you refilled coolant, right? Check for codes stored in the computer. Make sure your cooling fan is not running all the time ...

edited for spelling

Edited by: OceanArcher

Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM

well it turns out that the car isnt getting hot enough for the temp sensor. when i took off the old one i noticed that it didnt have much. teflon on it. I wrapped a decent amount of tape on the new one, and was told that i used maybe to much. because i still have the same light and code on.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 PM

well it sounds like a thermostat if it is not getting hot enough, are you sure that you got the radiator full?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

First, unless you wrapped the sensor tip itself, you did not put too much teflon tape on the threads.

Second, what is the code number stored in the computer ??

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 PM

i know i didnt wrap the sensor in tape. i just dont want to keep taking it in and out of the head, cause im affraid one or the other is gonna get meesed up.

i flushed cooling system when i replaced the sensor. and let it overflow and get up to operating temp and it ran for a good 20min outside in my driveway. hell i figured that not going anywhere the car would get warm enough. the light only came back on after i started driving it.

thank god for dent resistant panels. ive kicked it a few times

code is a p0128

Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

Well, I am glad you listed the error code.

P0128 = defective coolant thermostat

I would replace the thermostat at the first opportunity.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 PM

thanks. is it possible that the thermostat is stuck open?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Yes it is, I have a dodge ram and it wouldn''t heat[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img] up and I found the thermostat had come apart.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM

ha thats just what i need is teally floating around in the cooling system, slicing hoses and other crap

Quick Reply: new temp sensor