2001 L300 No Heat P0116 Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Default 2001 L300 No Heat P0116 Code

(Mine does the same thing intermittantly. when really cold the heat will not work. The engine light came on with a P0116 Code so I replaced the coolant sensor. This morning while it was cold out 19 degrees, and the car was running for 20 min - still no heat.
I checked both lines coming out of the heater core and both were hot.
I just got the car (a 2001 L300) and the past owner said he changed the thermostat.
Even after replacing the coolant temp sensor the engine light came on again this morning with the same code.
I'm not really trusting what a past owner said, but would anyone else think it could be something besides the thermostat? Thanks in advance!!)

Sorry, I replied to a different post on a Vue thread so I am starting over here.

Thanks!!

Old 12-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

So the questions remain, what does your heater control look like?

Old 12-08-2018, 09:34 PM

Sorry, I added that on the last post and omitted it here.

I have the manual two **** on the heater panel. Thanks!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default P0116

Old 12-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default Electric waterpump

Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

So it is back to basics, after 5 minutes driving where is the temperature gage reading. It should be just under 1/2 at normal operating temp. I have a long driveway and my car gets to temp in less than 1 mile from home. My v-6 car took a little longer than the 4 cylinder car I drive now.
I suspect that the thermostat is either the wrong temp or of low quality. A thermostat is like a battery you get what you pay for so buy the best one you can get. Changing the thermostat on a v-6 Saturn is a pain so the labor is the big part of the cost.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:24 PM

I got the car a few weeks ago for my son. so it is really just sitting now while he is in sports, etc. I drove it about 800 miles so far. in that time the temp guage in the car never really got over the first mark on the guage. maybe, just slightly over. however, it did blow hot air. I noticed the heat not working well when driving on the highway, but thought it could be cold air from the outside coming in (wishful thinking). After a while, now there is no hot air.

I researched the thermostat replacement and boy you are right. the guy I bought the car from had his son in law replace a lot on the car and from what I saw he did it all correct, and he said he did replace the thermostat. Not sure if it is just wishfull thinking again, but I was hoping it was the actuator or something?

With the cars not getting up to adaquate running temperature on the guage my first thought was the thermostat, but it is confusing since what I read was that if the hoses going into the heater core are both hot it is something inside the car and not the thermostat.

Not sure if you think it is back to that dreadful thought of a thermostat replacement? I appreciate your time greatly!!!!!

Old 12-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

The cold/hot **** moves a cable that moves a door in the heater box. See if there is any change and that you can feel something moving. The mode **** is electrical and controls a couple motors that move the other doors. Try running the heat in recirc mode and see if you get any. With outside air at 19 degrees the heater has to work very hard especially if the coolant is not up to 195 degrees.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:19 PM

It was about 40 degrees today and no hot air. I tried moving the heat **** and can't tell if it is doing anything (partly because the car is new to me so I don't know if it is different than normal).
I will try again tomorrow with a little more time.
Wondering if I should start to pull it apart a little to see what I am dealing with

Old 12-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would see if the temperature of the air changes at all on outside air. Have it blow out the dash vents so you can feel it with your hands. The floor heat is pathetic at best I always blend with defrost or dash.

Quick Reply: 2001 L300 No Heat P0116 Code