Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Transmission Sensor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Banned
Default Transmission Sensor Problem

I just bought a 2000 L Series, 4D, V6 Saturn. The car has 33,000 miles on it and has rarely been driven the last 15 years. The car drives like new.... until it has warmed up and the service light turns on. Once the service light turns on the transmission jerks into each gear. I stopped by AutoZone to have the computer code read. I was told it was a service code with no numbers only that it may indicate oil change needed. Before I bought the car, the car had been inspected top to bottom, new oil change and checked all the fluids, everything came back OK. I find it puzzling that the car drives so well up until the moment the service light turns on, then it jerks into each gear when I'm accelerating. I was wondering if anyone else had this situation and how they fixed it? Thanks

Old 07-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

My 02 does the same thing. I have not figured out what sets it off yet. Sometimes it comes on in town after a quick stop. It resets when I cycle the key, it can stay off for days at a time. I have checked the fluid level and it is a little over full.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

in lieu of Alpha chiming in (where are you Alpha?), I did some online research into the matter and this seems to be a very common issue with the whole L series.

Service Wrench light comes on, then hard shifting, then key off for 15 sec, then start and drive and shift normally.

Many out there believe that this is a Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid issue, although it is quite mystifying since no one can seem to find a code, historical or otherwise, stored anywhere (DTCs BCM, TCM) with quality scanners capable of reading all nooks and crannies for codes.

That's all I have. I'm no tranny expert by any means. Just relaying info from some surfing on the problem.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Banned
Default Solenoid

This does seem to be a common issue with this Saturn model. It seems to happen at different mileages also. I feel like it's an electrical issue, I can check out the solenoid like you mentioned. What controls that solenoid?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

like I said, I'm no tranny expert....I'm sure it's out there on the net.......or Alpha could stop by and explain stuff.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:41 AM

Look up a dude named richpin on youtube. He has a LOT of Saturn how to videos.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Banned

Thanks, I'll check out Richpin on YouTube. If Alpha or anyone knows a good process to troubleshoot the cause for something like this please let me know.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

just pm alpha w a link to your post. He's a really nice guy

Old 07-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
just pm alpha w a link to your post. He's a really nice guy
I appreciate the help Derf, there seems to be a lot of great guys on the site!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:20 AM

I'm having similar shifting issues with my 2.2L L100. I've found this youtube video series very helpful in troubleshooting which pin-outs to test for the shift solenoids.

Quick Reply: Transmission Sensor Problem