Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

SERVICE ENGINE SOON light

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned
Default SERVICE ENGINE SOON light

2003 LW 300 V6....have owned it for 4 years. Every winter we are plagued with this SERVICE ENGINE SOON light that comes on on cold days only (30 deg. or below). I go to Auto Zone and they check it and it says something like "Engine Coolant Differential Temp. abnormal" (May be slightly different wording but it pertains to an engine coolant system differential temp.)
I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect and the light stays off until the next cold spell. After so many times, this becomes a pain.

From all indications, the thermostat works like it should. (Engine never overheats in hot weather and heater warms up normally in cold weather.) Antifreeze in good shape, coolant level good.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know how to solve it?? All help appreciated!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:36 PM

ETCS ? Clearing a code does not fix the problem.

Last edited by sw2cam; 02-28-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sw2cam
ETC ? Clearing a code does not fix the problem.
Thanks for your reply. I understand that clearing a code doesn't fix the problem. I am asking if anyone knows what the problem is......so I can fix it.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Get the Pxxx code (get it read again) and post that code here and we'll try to help you sort it out.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
Get the Pxxx code (get it read again) and post that code here and we'll try to help you sort it out.
Thanks derf! As I mentioned, the light only comes on in cold weather and I'm in Texas so I'll have to wait for the next front which should be Sunday. If the light comes on I'll run to Auto Zone and get the code Monday. Appreciate it!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 AM

It does sound like the ETCS.......If it is, get it from the dealer.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RjION
It does sound like the ETCS.......If it is, get it from the dealer.
Scuse my ignorance but what would the ETCS be? I'm gonna guess something elecronic and expensive???

Old 03-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
derf, found a previous Auto Zone printout for this condition and the code is P0128 Engine coolant temperature below thermostat-regulated temperature. (The light is reset now but when it turns cold in a day or two will surely come in.) Thanks for your help!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

from my limited check across the world wide web, this is a thermostat problem. Others report that their radiator cooling fans run constantly when the check engine light comes on with this code. One poster even mentioned that cold weather seemed to aggravate it and cause the code to appear.

Remedy is to replace thermostat based on what I've read.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rtread
Scuse my ignorance but what would the ETCS be? I'm gonna guess something elecronic and expensive???
The internet is full of information as is this site.
ETCS = Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Quick Reply: SERVICE ENGINE SOON light