Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/)
-   -   Serious MAF issues (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/serious-maf-issues-7620/)

Rubehayseed 03-10-2013 10:14 PM

Actually, I think Derf was directing that post at OceanArcher.

Claplume 03-11-2013 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed (Post 35986)
Actually, I think Derf was directing that post at OceanArcher.

My bad :p I'm new here!

OceanArcher 03-11-2013 09:47 PM

Sorry - my files are deficient in this area as well. Lemmie run my traps in the morning, to see what I can dig up ....

Sorry - my files are deficient in this area as well. Lemmie run my traps in the morning, to see what I can dig up ....

Claplume 03-12-2013 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher (Post 36014)

That would be great thanks!

RjION 03-12-2013 08:14 AM

and I'm no help. I've never had an L Car. Have zero info and have never read the L Car forums. All I can say is buy a service manual, that can't be a bad thing.

uncljohn 03-13-2013 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 35978)
OA, do you have docs for the L car MAF wiring?

I have them!
But I have little clue as to what might be being looked for.
Yes there is a fuse.
It is called the engine control 1 fuse, 10 Amps
the purple wire with the white stripe should have zero volts
The orange wire should have 12 volts
the Grey wire should have 5 volts.
The Tan Wire should have some kind of a variable voltage on it. That is the signal to the engine control computer.
The last wire I don't know, at least from looking at the wiring diagram. It might be some kind of an enable signal to the MAF sensor but I would have to look further. The point here is if Derf or someone knows what they are looking for and can tell me I can look it up.
Why?
I have the service information.

And the comment (yes it is repeated regularly and largely ignored) it would be a good idea to purchase a Haynes, Mitchels or Chiltons service document for one of these cars when trying to work on it.
In this case as a current example anyway, to me the numbers are obvious. two used parts at what? $60.00 plus a new one at $300 or a book at $25.00 used to determine the need for one.
Saturns like many cars as they age and specifically so as the company no longer exists thus the value drops through the bottom did not become any less complex, just cheaper to buy and due to lack of parts, dealers and service? More expensive and harder to maintain.
This is a stock pattern as applied to a now defunct brand name and even more so a problem applied to something that has been badge engineered

Claplume 03-16-2013 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by uncljohn (Post 36053)
I have them!
But I have little clue as to what might be being looked for.
Yes there is a fuse.
It is called the engine control 1 fuse, 10 Amps
the purple wire with the white stripe should have zero volts
The orange wire should have 12 volts
the Grey wire should have 5 volts.
The Tan Wire should have some kind of a variable voltage on it. That is the signal to the engine control computer.
The last wire I don't know, at least from looking at the wiring diagram. It might be some kind of an enable signal to the MAF sensor but I would have to look further. The point here is if Derf or someone knows what they are looking for and can tell me I can look it up.
Why?
I have the service information.

And the comment (yes it is repeated regularly and largely ignored) it would be a good idea to purchase a Haynes, Mitchels or Chiltons service document for one of these cars when trying to work on it.
In this case as a current example anyway, to me the numbers are obvious. two used parts at what? $60.00 plus a new one at $300 or a book at $25.00 used to determine the need for one.
Saturns like many cars as they age and specifically so as the company no longer exists thus the value drops through the bottom did not become any less complex, just cheaper to buy and due to lack of parts, dealers and service? More expensive and harder to maintain.
This is a stock pattern as applied to a now defunct brand name and even more so a problem applied to something that has been badge engineered

Totally gonna double check those in the morning. Well.. When I wake up haha! I'll let you know what their reading and go from their! Thanks a ton!