Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

My new Lw300

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default My new Lw300

I should start a thread about what to do when you buy a used Saturn. I am going to bring a 02 lw300 back up to prime condition over the next few months. I will also be driving this car about 60 miles a day to work. The front end rattles which means it needs tierod ends at least. Today I put new middle of the road tires on it. I don't want to burn expensive tires so these will work until I go through the suspension. I also plan to replace the water pump and the timing belt and seals. I will post tutorials for most of the work. I repaired the drivers mirror with 3 small washers, it was taped on when purchased. Hopefully I will have an audience with lots of questions. First tank of gas was 27.25 mpg, not bad for freeway flying on an unknown car. It will do better!
Ps, I went to the Gmc dealer today and got 2 genuine Saturn keys cut by VIN for$16.00. Of course I know them. LOL

Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

We're grateful that you're willing to document everything you do
If you can write it in a step by step "how To" format w pix that would be awesome.

If you do one subject per post then I can post them as individual stickies in the forum.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trip to the Pick a part today. I actually went to town for several reasons today. First to get rid of a junk Metro that was on the car trailer, I got $50.00. Second was to get a rack and all the bolts for the Alero on my hoist, this is a future car for one of my grand daughters. Third was to get three yards of compost/soil mix for the raised bed gardens we have.
I scored some Saturn parts while at the yard today, a "new" door check, fuel cap with tether, lens for the door lamp, and a dash vent with all the teeth. All the Saturn parts have been installed, no more double clunk when opening and shutting the door. All the a/c parts have arrived and when I get the Alero off the rack I will begin the repairs!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Default Extra remote

Ps, I went to the Gmc dealer today and got 2 genuine Saturn keys cut by VIN for$16.00. Of course I know them. LOL

Have you had any experience with programming a new remote?

Last edited by derf; 08-25-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not yet, my remote works fine.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Default Previous owner lost the remote

The original owner lost the remote, so I'd like a backup one before the one we have left wanders off somewhere.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 AM
Default How about transmission filter change

Have you done the transmission filter change yet?

I put in an ATP B-171 filter, which came with a nice gasket just like the OEM. Draining the ATF was a pain as there is no drain plug in the pan. After that it was easy. After an earlier debacle trying to replace the filter neck seal (I can't figure out why they can't just use an o-ring) on a different car but with the same type of filter and filter seal, this time I knew better than even think of trying to remove the seal. The filter sat nice and firm in the seal, so I just pulled out the old filter, coated the neck of the new filter housing with some ATF, and pushed the new filter back up in place.

The ATF was not "burnt" but there was a good amount of muddy-looking sludge coating the pan. That was after about 109K miles. So, unless there is a record that the filter was changed on your L300 earlier, it is likely on your short list already.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

you can get them on ebay just be SURE you're ordering the right one and a NEW one.
I believe L car remotes have to be programmed at the dealer because that system interacts w the bcm

Or I'm wrong

Old 08-25-2015, 12:39 AM
Question Programming remotes

I got a replacement remote from Your Keyless Remote via Amazon for about $30. Same model number and FCC ID as the original. The vendor says it has to be programmed by a dealer or a locksmith. So, I was just wondering if anyone had this done and what it cost to get a baseline.

On some other GM vehicles, you can initiate the programming process yourself with a convoluted combination of button pressing and ignition key position, but at least you can do it yourself for free. A little nicer.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

vendor sounds familiar---i must have gotten mine through Amazon as well

Quick Reply: My new Lw300