Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/)
-   -   Door removal, 2002 L series... (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/door-removal-2002-l-series-9539/)

19bonestock88 05-18-2014 10:19 AM

Door removal, 2002 L series...

So, my wife's car was pinned between two other cars at the truck stop where she works, and the drivers side front door was bent a little... I know there are connectors in the door panel for the electronics, but where are the ones that connect to the door in general? I have a line on a complete door from another 2002 L series(heated power mirror and all)...

Rubehayseed 05-18-2014 06:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that you just undo the hinges after unplugging the electrical connector and the door will come off. Every car I've ever done a door swap on has worked that way.

19bonestock88 05-18-2014 06:06 PM

I was just wondering if there were any connectors that weren't inside the door panel that needed disconnected...

19bonestock88 06-21-2014 06:57 PM

Soo... I bought the door for our car, and the people at the junkyard have cut the wiring in between the door and the car... Where is the main connector for the door? Or is there one?

I need to know by tomorrow, when I need to change doors...

Rubehayseed 06-21-2014 10:48 PM

I'm not sure on the Saturns, man, as I've never replaced one of them. BUT on my Mopars and a Geo that I had over the years, the plug is usually in the post near where the hinges connect to the door. It may have a piece of plastic "conduit" covering the wires, but shouldn't be that hard to find. The plug may be behind the kick panel.

19bonestock88 06-22-2014 03:44 PM

So, I've been digging in our car, and the new door, and I can't find any electrical connector that just disconnects the door itself... I traced all the inside of the door, and I went under the kick panel and traced the wire all the way back to where it goes through the car to the door... That wire does go I to a connector, but there is a second set of wires that also go into the connector that presumably go to the back door, from what I can see... I would go ahead and cut the wires, but there seems to be three of each color... I imagine guessing their correct position would be a real PITA...

Rubehayseed 06-22-2014 04:42 PM

Wish I could help you out on that one man, but I don't have a clue so will be quiet for now.

19bonestock88 06-24-2014 05:12 PM

So...

I have swapped the doors on the car... Physically at least, lol... In ninety degree heat nonetheless... It fought me in every way possible, a long 1/2 wrench needed on some bolts, a short 13mm wrench in others...(same size bolts, but different methods of removal, lol)

Couldn't get to the bolts whilst taking the black door off... Couldn't get bolts started putting the white door on... Couldn't get the white door to close once on... And the panel gaps are still nowhere near straight OR even... But it does open and close, so I celebrate for today, tomorrow comes the real challenge- making the door work... I ended up just cutting the wires just like on the new door, but I cut near the door, where the junkyard people cut next t the car, giving me a couple extra inches of wire to play with... I also have snap connectors to put it all together...but I digress... For having not slept in about 24 hours, and having started after working night shift, I did all right...

Bill Berger 06-24-2014 07:04 PM

Sounds like a perplexing task.
Just add a wheelbarrow full of patience and it might all work out fine.

derf 06-29-2014 10:29 PM

I do not envy you

Sounds like a pack of wooden shims may be helpful....