Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Bad a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default Bad a/c compressor

I finally got a chance to pop the hood and take a look. I reset the change oil soon light, I actually read the owners' manual. LOL. I gave it a quick look and noticed that there was no belt on the compressor. The car has a belt but it skips the compressor. I tried to turn both the pulley, bad bearing and the compressor itself and it is locked up. I checked Napa and they do not have a direct replacement compressor, they have an updated not oem style. Anyone have any experience on this. I repair a/c at work but I always use factory replacement parts.
Andy

Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

no experience other than reading in more than 1 place that you want a new vs used compressor if you can afford it, if it locks up like that, a flush is mandatory (should do anyway), new dryer, TXV are all needed for proof of valid warranteed install.

But you already know this.
(Don't forget to obtain the correct w/AC version of the belt if you do change it out)
I don't know who they were using for AC compressors for the L cars but I've always had good luck w AC Delco when true OEM was ridiculously overpriced.

But those new OEM style AC Delco compressor/clutch combos are pretty pricey. I suppose it comes down to what you can afford and personal preference.

Doing the work yourself will save you hundreds vs one of us having to take it to a shop, so from that perspective, maybe a new compressor is not all that expensive after all.....for you

While we are on the subject, what is the most common failure of reman AC compressors?

Last edited by derf; 04-26-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

After some research I have found that the Oem Japanese compressor was problematic. Most remans are that same model. Napa and some other suppliers use a Gm U.S. Manufactured compressor with a hose adaptor. Look up 157546 and it shows the improved design. A lot of air conditioning repairs fail due to improperly cleaning the system and not enough oil.

Last edited by 02 LW300; 04-26-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: iPad automatic correct
Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

so then a properly selected and sourced reman compressor + an experienced and properly trained mechanic is not a problem. So it appears that the new CVC based design is the way to go for the S and L series saturns if you are going to replace a compressor regardless of whether you go new or reman.

I just read through the GDP tech tips on rockauto website. I now understand why people are getting quoted condenser replacements along with their compressor replacements (if the articles are accurate). The accumulator/dryer is obvious.

It's REALLY helpful when people with your level of knowledge and hands-on experience join the forum, and can answer detailed questions about or guide us to places where we can get detailed information.

For example, I learned more about automotive AC systems in the last 30 minutes than I've known all my life. I had no idea the newer condensers were not flushable. I also did not know that running on a low charge affected oil levels at the compressor (I guess that's what the low press cutoff switch is for).

Please stick around........