Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

2001 Saturn L200 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Default 2001 Saturn L200 Performance

Was just wondering if anyone may have info on where to get ANY kind of performance parts for this car! Much appreciated!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 PM

http://bomzracing.com/bomzracingshor...aturndohc.aspx

Just found this intake online by accident! Any input? Whats the difference between this and a cold AIT? Will there be noticeable gains? And why dont the plug and play chips for saturns work? Also how hard would this be to install?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Having built an engine or two in my life and not trying to sell you anything and personally enjoying pretty as well as the next guy;
something of this nature questionably does little more than look good and remove money from your wallet.
What it does is remove the restriction (if any) of the factory air cleaner system from the intake of your car. Assuming of course that the factory system actually is restrictive enough to actually restrict something.
It also removes the fresh, thus cold air intake which usually depends on outside ducting of some kind or another and replace it with under the hood hot air which is counter productive to your performance, which is limited by stock configuration and engine rpm limiting and a few other things.
But it is pretty, makes wonderful growling noises when pushed and
removes money from your wallet, the primary objective.
Now
If
you had increased the air intake requirements via some kind of high rpm modifications so the engine will run reliably at 8 or 9000 rpms or
maybe drastically increased the size of your engine from 2.2 L which is about 122 cupic inches (I'm old school even though I built a fuel injected engine from the ground up) to something on the order of 500 cubic inches. This chrome or polished aluminum pipe with an air cleaner attached might aid in increasing horse power, but pesonally i doubt that it would have any measurable gain in anthing at all.
But it would look impressive, and that is o.k. too!
While reading this, keep in mind that you have not seen any of my useless expenditures.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:35 PM

If you put a 500 cubic inch engine in a L200, I dont think a performance intake would matter, since you would probably dust any other car on the road anyways.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM

Ive always figured the ultimate in silly expenditures would be a kit to install (bolt in) a 460 cu in Lincoln motor in a Fox Body Ford aka a Mustang, complete with A/C and they do exist and then have the 460 built into a Mountain Motor and they can approach 1000 cubic inches and it would fit under the hood. The ultimate in a Sleeper. My other choice would be a Kieth Black Chebby aluminum small block, polished with all aluminum acc. polished, mounted in an IROC Z-28. Using Tune Port Injection, polished. What bling that would have when you open the hood. All it takes is money!
Not having any is a determent. So I'll be satisfice with my 4.4 L AMC I-6, port injected with cam and compression in front of a 3 speed auto with a lock up 2200 rpm stall torque converter and a high flow catalytic converter, all smog leagle.
And
my 94 Saturn S series coupe with a $6000.00 paint job.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

AMC with an Inline 6 in it -- is that a Gremlin?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 PM

No, This particular one is a 1980 Spirit Hatch Back. And keeping in the spirit of the thread which loosely is value returned for money spent. I have about $16,000 in this car of which I could sell it at any time for about $3500--

Last edited by uncljohn; 06-28-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 PM

Snip
And why dont the plug and play chips for saturns work?
Snip
I am not familiar with what is available for Saturn Engine Control Computor performance enhancement if anything. But in general this type of aftermarket hardware is generally cost effective to develop either based on popularity of the car in question or the ability to actually incorporate something aftermarket. Many systems have no capability. Some GM systems do, whether that is representative accross the product line, applicable to certain engines or just Chevy compatable over certain years I do not know. But if there is nothing available for Saturn, it would not surprise me. As far as I know there is nothing available for MOPAR either and many other cars. Or at least not easily.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 AM

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt most late model saturn come with the GM ecotec engine in them? I would think there would be a "chip" for that engine since it was used so widely across all GM brands.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM

I honestly don't know. Again the development of something on that order depends in part on a population that is interested in buying it. I really do not know what the market might be for that particular engine in any of the cars it was in, nor to be honest that particular engine I don't even know how many cylinders it has. As Saturn was busy scrambling around putting anything in the show room they thought they could move by moving some trim or sheet metal on and re-badge it as a Saturn the concept of buying a car that once bragged about making it in Tennesee (which was now dedictated to making Chevy trucks,) was offering a Honda engine in the Vue.
I sort of lost interest in the cars when when some one in marketing decided what I wanted was a 3rd door on the coupe and a 4 door with the ION along with some where along the line dropping the station wagon.