Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

2001 ls station wagon: wrench light on, center dash controls not working

Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Default 2001 ls station wagon: wrench light on, center dash controls not working

I recently bought a 2001 ls200 station wagon with 69,000 miles. The service wrench light came on and at the same time (I think) the following controls stopped working: the hvac fan switch, a/c button,recirc/intake buttons,heated seats, trac. The only things in that center console area that work are the button for the hazards and the radio.

I tried my friends code scanner and got no codes and have since learned that this light doesn't give those kinds of codes(emissions stuff) and that I would need to go to a dealer to get the code scanned. I so don't want to go to a dealer! I pulled and inspected any fuses that seemed likely culprits.

Any thoughts?
Thank You!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Banned

As you know -- there are three different fuse blocks on your car ... the one in the engine compartment (check the BCM2 and BCM cluster fuse), and two inside the car, one on the left side, and one on the right. Recheck your fuses carefully, as they can be hard to see if they are good, or if the are bad (ohmmeter works really great with this check).
Stop by your local AutoZone (or some such similar) parts store. They will run a scanner test for you. Get the code NUMBERS and post them here ...

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM

Thanks. I don't think I checked the bcm cluster and I only checked the fuses visually which I gather is not reliable. I'm at work now but there might actually be an ohm meter here. I'll do that if I have time.
I also gather that you think auto zone can do the appropriate scan. Do they charge or is it a service to get the business?
thanks again!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Service wrench light is non-emission stuff, and as far as I know you'll need a "TECH II" to read them.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM

I haven't had this happen with my Saturn yet but I used to have a Dodge Stratus and one day the check engine light came on accompanied by the HVAC fan and all the window controls going kaput. The problem turned out to be a $0.75 fuse replaced by my local mechanic.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM

I didn't find any bad fuses and I called auto zone and after talking to a guy there it sounds like his scan won't read this light but I really am not sure he knows what he's talking about. He said that this light is for maintenence that is scheduled and can just be reset. Again, since I have a problem that seems simultaneous I don't think he knows what he's talking about. I think I'll see if I can find out online what ato zone scanners can do. Maybe I'll just bring it there and get it done anyway.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM

Update: my mechanic says he can read it so I'm going to bring it there and have it read. Beats a dealership.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM

The code is 1641. My mechanic said that the first thing to do in this case is replace an o2 sensor. I'm going to need to find out which one and if doable myself.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Banned

P1641 indicated a malfunction in the Indicator Lamp Control Circuits (which matches up with the switches not working) ... frankly, I've never seen a defective O2 sensor do this....

Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM

Yea,the o2 sensor didn't make sense to me. How does one fix a malfunction in the indicator lamp control circuits?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 ls station wagon: wrench light on, center dash controls not working