Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

01 L200, good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Default 01 L200, good buy?

So basically i finally got a loaner car from the people servicing mine... Since I killed the sl1, I have been looking at replacing it since it was throwing multiple codes involving the EGR and the fuel tank prior to engine failure... My loaner car is a 2001 L200, auto climate control and power seat and heated mirrors and other luxury appointments other than leather... I considered buying it so that my wife has something to drive...

My concerns:

1. mileage- it has just over a quarter million miles... I heard the 2.2 ecotec is pretty reliable, any issues to watch for? Will the automatic transmission last? It sounds like it may have an exhaust leak and I hear an extremely faint and quiet tick(injectors?) under load, and I think I might smell a slight odor of fuel on startup... The car runs fine though and drives well...

2. I think it might have a very slight amount of play in the steering on center and possibly a slightly off feeling as I turn the wheel through its travel... Not sure what that may be?

3. Random defects regarding this particular model?

4. Will it be particularly inefficient with its fuel usage?

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 01-10-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 PM

The owner of the garage/ dealer initially wanted our sl1 plus $1500 without knowing the book value of either... I an thinking about more like our sl1 plus 800 to 1000... Too high? The kbb on that car in good condition is $1287... The value of the sl1 in good condition is $2117... It also has new tires and was recently plasti dipped, but it would cost about $700 to replace the engine and make it run...

Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Wish I could help, but I know absolutely nothing about the 2.2 Ecotec or the L series at all.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Rj will know

Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 AM

All I know is the 2.2 is fairly tough, the one in my mothers ION is nearing 180k and she was never very good about maintenance... She tried, but sometimes the oil would go 10k on a change... That was fine until she paid for two oil changes that weren't actually performed and the engine now ticks... But 250k is beyond my realm of experience...

Old 01-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Actually I have no idea what model this specific car is... I know its a pre facelift l series with steel wheels, auto climate control, power windows, locks, and drivers seat, the 2.2 L61 four cylinder and a slush box... I had it checked it my a mechanic... He mentioned an exhaust leak(which i suspected) and it needing a tie rod(or end) which makes sense given the steering feel... He then compared the running of the engine to a singer sewing machine, smooth as glass and as if it will continue to run for years... I doubt it has a whole lot left, but do you guys think I can get 'er to 300k? Given i can buy it for a fair price, that is?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:16 PM

I don't see why not. I've seen a lot of them in the junk yard with over 200,000 miles on them. If your "mechanic" said the engine is in good shape, the rest of the mentioned things are normal wear and tear items. If it's a good price, jump on it.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 PM

I was thinking a price like our (about) dead sl1 and about 800 bucks to a grand... Unless someone on this forum wants to just buy the sl1...

Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 PM

I ended up buying the car, gave our dead sl1 and 1200... Not a screaming deal, but a decent one given that the car turned out to be a 2002... It has fresh oil now and has just turned over 251k miles, drives fine though... All of it works(including the traction control and abs)... I had to remove the window tint, as it was too dark to pass a wv state inspection(Ohio car) the exhaust does indeed leak... Combo of low quality materials to replace the down pipe, horrendous welds splicing in the cat converter and o2 sensor section, and some rust through in places... I plan on replacing all that crush bent pipe, and possibly everything else in an effort to not be sucking exhaust fumes at rest... That aside, it could use brakes, and the tires are about half...

I do have a couple questions though...

1. Fuel mileage... The second tank I have run through the car was 23.6 mpg... Some idling, some highway, and a little aggressive driving... Is such mileage normal for this model? It seems less than I was expecting... Could it be solved by a tune up?

2. The car has a shudder when shifting to 2nd gear at WOT(6500 RPM, 40-ish mph)... Is this just the age showing? Will the trans continue to operate for a while? I found this whilst trying the car before doing the legal documents sale related... My wife will probably never see or notice this but I know it's there...

Old 01-20-2014, 10:06 PM

Any car 12 years old and with 250,000 miles on it is a gamble. I have driven a few out that far and they ran well. But those I have purchased with that kind of mileage on them were a mistake I wish I never made or the price was so good that if it quit on me I'd driven the purchase cost out of them.
Transmission service is the key to reliable operation. If you have any concerns get the fluid and filter changed and see what that does and while I am not a big fan of aftermarket additives, the Lucas Transmission additive has done me some measurable good so that if I service a high mileage transmission it gets added as an insurance act. It may do some good, but it will not hurt anything.
The same can be said for other Lucas products.

Quick Reply: 01 L200, good buy?