Wet floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 09:15 AM
Default Wet floor

I'm in need of some help!! Every time it rains my front driver side floor gets wet and I do have a sun roof, can anyone get me out as to what might be causing this

Old 07-20-2022, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Sunroof drains are clogged. At least that one. You can search the forum on how to clean them and how they are routed. Be very careful not to poke a hole in the tubing inside the a pillar.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Either that or the drain from your AC unit is clogged and the condensation that would normally drain through that drain is redirecting into the cabin

Old 07-20-2022, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Sunroof drains are clogged. At least that one. You can search the forum on how to clean them and how they are routed. Be very careful not to poke a hole in the tubing inside the a pillar.
Thank you I will check it out

Old 07-20-2022, 10:38 AM

Ok so I poured water into the sunroof and the water went down and it drained onto the road, so that must not be the problem

Old 07-20-2022, 10:43 AM

So My next question is this happens even when I'm not running my **** conditioner, so it even didDoes it in the winter

Old 07-20-2022, 02:41 PM

Maybe check your cowl drains under the windshield wipers.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:35 PM

I have a 2004 Ion, bought it just over 2 years ago. It had the same problem, and I started troubleshooting it the same way. I poured water into the channels for the sunroof track, and water would run out onto the ground about under the area where the front door meets the fender. But the end of the sunroof drain comes through the inner fender about 6 inches in front of that. The drain tube had come disconnected from the elbow that goes through the inner fender, so the water was coming out into the cabin behind the kick panel, and some would go down and leak out between the spot welds in the body panels (that's what I saw running out), while the rest would soak into the carpet. Had the same problem on the passenger side.

The fix is tedious and hard to do with normal sized hands. You need to remove the kick panel/carpet retainer, then remove a large rubberized "plug" that seals a hand-sized hole through the inner body panel. Between the inner body panel and the metal inner fender, the sunroof drain tube comes down and is supposed to be mated to a rubber elbow that routes water through the inner fender. If you pop the plastic fender liner loose behind the front tire (push pins hold it in place), you can see the outer 'spout' of this elbow protruding about a half inch through the inner fender. Working by feel only, I was able to bond the tip of the drain tube into this elbow using gorilla glue. I did this on both sides, and haven't had a water problem since.

I replaced the carpet. It was pretty wet when I bought the car, and my 'testing' made it much worse. I think I must have run at least a quart of water on each side before I realized that not nearly as much water was leaking through to the ground as I was pouring in.

Last edited by oldmarine; 07-20-2022 at 07:40 PM.