Tuning a 05 saturn ion 3 2.2l.. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Default Tuning a 05 saturn ion 3 2.2l.. Need help

Wanna install turbo kit please give advice as to how to tune the car.. Hp tuners doesn't support it

Old 01-15-2019, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Bones should be along shortly to assist (in house Ion mod dude)

Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by derf
Bones should be along shortly to assist (in house Ion mod dude)
I hope he knows how to fix this problem cause I just got a email from zzp saying they believe I will need a full Standalone

Old 01-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Default Cool thanks

I read threw alot of his posts recently while looking threw the forum and read about his redline.. But it seems to just stop in Oct do you know what happened if he ever got it up and running again?

Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the RL is now a parts car! He may have a supercharger for sale.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

I know zzp sent him an ECM with a custom tune already loaded based on info he sent to them. But the IRL came factory equipped w a S/C, so s custom tune supplied that way is reasonable.

But putting a turbo on an ion, the stock ECM can't manage the fuel map and boost because there is no boost parameter and nowhere to store the fuel map when boosting. So standalone sounds about right.

Just like the s cars.

Hell just buy his redline. Needs some work but.....

Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 AM
Default I've be came attached to my car

I know zzp sent him an ECM with a custom tune already loaded based on info he sent to them. But the IRL came factory equipped w a S/C, so s custom tune supplied that way is reasonable.

But putting a turbo on an ion, the stock ECM can't manage the fuel map and boost because there is no boost parameter and nowhere to store the fuel map when boosting. So standalone sounds about right.

Just like the s cars.

Hell just buy his redline. Needs some work but.....
I don't or.. Can't sell my ion I tried to before but I've just been threw alot in it. Umm do you know of any good standalones I could use? If not I might just build the engine no turbo just Internals header and Exhuast and call it a day buy a 6th Gen honda accord sedan and turbo that, or a new edge Mustang gt... Haven't decided on my next project yet since I haven't ironed out everything with the ion

Old 01-16-2019, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hell, rebuild his irl engine. He already ported his intake and other fun stuff. Smaller s/c pulley. Did something nice and classy with the exhaust. I believe he built the engine himself last time.

I texted him to sign on.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:13 AM
Default I'm attached to my specific car

Hell, rebuild his irl engine. He already ported his intake and other fun stuff. Smaller s/c pulley. Did something nice and classy with the exhaust. I believe he built the engine himself last time.

I texted him to sign on.
It's not that I want to build any ion I want to build my specific car I lived in it for half a year b4 an its never left me stranded I've named it mercy... I know sounds weird but it's like a part of me. Even when I had no gas in the tank she got me to where I needed or got me home and broke down in my parking spot, ran on with the oil light on for 2 months while I was homeless trying to get money to be able to change it. It was my first ever car and I rebuilt the engine when I got it. It had alot of engine issues I bought it for $150 but 2 grand into it to get it running. Drove it for a year then bought a 2012 lancer ralliart that I ended up having to sell due to needing money for my son. When my baby mom kicked me out I went out to the garage where she was sitting with out being started for a year got in her and she started right up first try not even a dead battery... Idk if you will understand where I'm coming from but. She isn't just a car to me. This car has never let me down. I don't plan on ever selling it even tho I'd be smarter and I'd save more money and time just building a redline. I don't quite understand why the 05 is the only ion not supported by anyone it's like they skip that year 04 and 06s are supported but mine isn't . Kinda sucks but I guess it's just gonna make her more special when I figure out how I'm gonna do this 😊

Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 PM

I’m here... you are totally correct, there is no HPT compatibility with the 03-06 Ion, but Trifecta did support the 05-06, you might shoot them an email and see what they’ll do.. I know that anyone that currently has the hardware and is Trifecta tuned could flash your car, might search out people on FB or such for similar builds...

as as far as tuning it depends on how much power you wanna make, 180-200whp you might be able to get away with a piggyback (AEM F-IC, Apexi SAFC, etc) and just bumping injector size (I have some stock RL injectors if you want), from 200 to 250whp, it’ll be harder to tune with piggyback but a boost referenced fuel pressure system could help... if you’re wanting serious power you probably wanna do a standalone EMS... MegaSquirt is cheap and DIY friendly but other people use systems from Electromotive, Haltech, AEM, etc, and it’s all about which you wanna use... each may have differences in user interface and car compatibility(sensors and such) but there are different ways to approach it...

the stock long block L61 supposedly is safe to around 250whp supercharged and a little more with turbo, but also some people have knocked on the door of 400 with stock block in a Cavalier(I think), so it’s very dependent on how good your tune is. If you haven’t done this before, find someone who has and/or grab you some literature on the subject and be well read before getting too deep in it...

and yes yes I still have the 04 RL, it’s still whole minus it’s seats which are in my sedan...

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Tuning a 05 saturn ion 3 2.2l.. Need help