Trans Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 09:02 AM
Default Trans Swap

I have a 2004 Ion with a auto trans that I have made into a circle dirt track car. Its a good car and the 2.2 ecotec is a strong motor, but......I would like to remove the auto trans and put in a 5 speed....Has anybody done this before or heard of anybody doing this. I know Ill have to figure out the neutral safety switch but I know nothing other than that, for example will I need to fab mounts or brackets or can I use stock mounts. Will I need to change the subframe to a manual subframe. Any input or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Old 08-08-2023, 07:54 PM

I have no experience swapping an auto for a manual transmission, but have had my manual transmission out of my 2004 Ion to change the clutch. I left the engine in place and lowered the transmission with the subframe to get it out. I can't say for certain, but would suspect that the subframe is the same for both type transmissions. There are two mounts on the subframe, the forward mount (one large bolt) and the aft mount (three bolts up through the aft crossmember part of the subframe). There is also a mount on the left inner fender well secured with three bolts. You can view a YouTube video of a guy removing an engine/manual transmission that shows the mounts (sort of, the video is not very high quality) at the link below.
In addition to the neutral safety switch (which could maybe be integrated into the clutch switch), you'll have to consider (1) mounting the manual shifter in the console with the two cables that run to the shift mechanism on the transmission; (2) installing the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder (which gets its fluid from the brake master cylinder reservoir, which may mean replacing the current brake master cylinder); (3) rewiring the backup light switch; (4) rewiring the speed sensor; (5) probably the biggest challenge, installing and bleeding the line from the clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave cylinder, which is mounted inside the bell housing of the transmission.
Good luck!

Old 08-08-2023, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

It's been done and there are countless write ups strewn across various Saturn forums. The biggest issue people come up against is trying to integrate the clutch safety switch into the auto trans wiring harness. That and getting the PCM and BCM flashed to match your options. I believe that cluster also has to be married to the car again if you flash the PCM and BCM.

Look at Saturnfans.com and sixthsphere.Com and you will find write-ups. There may be one or two on this forum but I honestly don't remember.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

About the safety switch integration. You must use the portion of the wiring harness from the manual trans donor car to connect up the trans and the neutral safety switch.