Spark Plugs

Old 07-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Default Spark Plugs

I am thinking about changing the spark plugs in my 2006 Ion. Its a 2.2. The car has 65k miles. Dealer says the plugs can last to 100k, but I don't want to chance it.

Does anyone know where the plugs are located? I see a rectangular panel at about the point where they are on other cars I've changed the plugs to. The panel has 4 10 mm bolts.

If that is the place where the plugs are, do I need to be aware of any springs or harnesses under the plastic piece?

Last, are there any differences in changing a spark plug that are with a coil pack to changing those with wires?

Old 07-03-2010, 09:54 AM

No need to change the plugs ....................

Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Default Plugs

Thanks for the feed back.

The dealer said they are good till 100k. How long do you think they are good for?

From my experience they don't last that long. And, a friend let his go to the length of time the dealer stated and had to have a large part of his engine taken out because the plugs became ceased, they had been left in to long.

Its like synthetic oil. Says it can be used for 10k, but I'd never go over 5k with out an oil change.

Also, what answer can you give to my original question? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Well, all of my Saturns (4 ) have gone to the 100k mile mark on the odometer before the plugs were changed, and I have never had the problem of a "seized" sparkplug. Perhaps your friend didn't install his plugs properly the first time, or in his efforts to ensure the plugs didn't leak, he exceeded the torque specifications, I dunno. Bottom line, I cannot "absolutely 100% guarantee" that you will run problem free for that distance --- I'm just saying I have, and on four different Saturns ......

Old 07-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Default plugs

When I do hit 100k- what do i need to do to change the plugs?

Is it routine or are there some things I should know?

Old 07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Purchase plugs identical to those removed DO NOT USE PLATINUM PLUGS!!! - check and adjust the gap (if necessary) to meet specifications - coat threads with anti-seize, install, and torque to recommended value. Oh, by the way --> do one plug at a time so you can be sure you don't switch up the wiring ............

Old 07-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Last edited by sw2cam; 07-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Generally, today's engines due in part to fuel injection which is much better controlled than a carburetor and plug materials technology, aka platinum plug life is orders of magnitude better than anything used to be. Back in the day, shortly before dinasours became oil, a twice a year tune up required new plugs because they were shot.
I just pulled the plugs on my Chrysler, 2007 at 50,000 miles and they do not look as if they have been used.
I fail to understand the concern with platinum. Most OEM plugs have been platinum for years now. They last longer. What has the material got to do with anything. Metal is metal, the electicity does not care!
Multiple electrode plugs have their place. Some cars come with them from the factory because the spark will jump around to different electrodes as they wear down taking longer for the plug to wear out. This is usually the case on cars where the plugs are located in such a manner that everything but the engine must be removed to get at the plugs, which includes the front bumper if the engine is in the rear. Multiple electrode plugs can also be sold as a sales gimmick. Usually with some stupid claim as to how powerful they make something. They don't.
I have run accross the odd situation where a plug is siezed in an engine. It is not often and it is expensive to fix.
It probably will never happen but the longer they are in there the greater the odds are.
However back to platinum, if they are installed along with making the gap larger, such as if the gap is 35 thousands and for some reason a decision is made to open the gap up to 45 thousands or larger, that takes more voltage to jump that gap and ignition systems are not designed to run larger gaps if the orginal design is smaller.
That WILL stress the ignition system out. And cause problems.
I have no preference as to plug make. I use Champion for my own reasons, no reason for me to change, no reason for you to use them.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Default plugs

I appreciate all the info people have given me.

Are iridium plugs fine for this car?

If they are not, which should I use?

As for the original question, I guess there is no difference between changing plugs on a car with wires than changing plugs on a car with coils?

Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 PM

----------------------------------

Last edited by sw2cam; 07-27-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plugs