In search of 04 rear anti sway bar.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by DropDead
Don't think the cavys came with a stock one. Could go junk yard searching measuring your beam to try to find something similar that did if wanting to be cheap
Had a minute to take a quick peak at one of the wreckers today. Looked at a dozen Cavs and not a single sway bar so i would assume you are correct.

When I have more time I will have to head back and get some accurate measurements. I looks like the trailing arms are a tad narrower so If I can find an aftermarket one I might only need to modify the brakets a bit.

If I wasn't so lazy I could just pull an 05 beam out of one of the Ions they have but that would be a fair bit of work.

Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:27 PM

The beams aren't that hard to pull. But definitely tedious by yourself and on your back. Plus heavy.
be easier to just modify a sway bar. They don't cost a crazy amount from what I remember.
​​​​​​Odd your 05 has the 04 style beam. Must have been an 04 build. Build date should be on your door sticker.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:33 PM

The beams aren't that hard to pull. But definitely tedious by yourself and on your back. Plus heavy.
be easier to just modify a sway bar. They don't cost a crazy amount from what I remember.
​​​​​​Odd your 05 has the 04 style beam. Must have been an 04 build. Build date should be on your door sticker.
Yup the build date was 09/04. I didn't even get the upgraded timing chain tensioner

Old 06-02-2023, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Anduuhar
Yup the build date was 09/04. I didn't even get the upgraded timing chain tensioner
My last 04 had over 400k on it when I did the timing chain. Buddy I bought it from never did it on the almost 200k he had it. And history prior was non existent. But my 03 took a crap at 140 and trashed the engine. The tensioner is hit and miss old and new style. Change your oil every 3k. And get the chain done as soon as you start to hear it rattleNice to see you did some research on the car. Not everyday we get someone like that🤙

Old 06-02-2023, 08:18 AM

My last 04 had over 400k on it when I did the timing chain. Buddy I bought it from never did it on the almost 200k he had it. And history prior was non existent. But my 03 took a crap at 140 and trashed the engine. The tensioner is hit and miss old and new style. Change your oil every 3k. And get the chain done as soon as you start to hear it rattleNice to see you did some research on the car. Not everyday we get someone like that🤙
Mine is pushing 150K as we speak. In the 2 years I have had it I have been diligent with the oil changes. Full synthetic every 3-5K and from what I can tell the previous owner took good care of it. I mean EVERYTHING still works and it doesn't have a single leak anywhere, not even weeping.

I like to do as much as I can myself so I like to know what I am doing.

The clutch is nearing the end of it's life (darn near the top of the pedal before she fully engages...) so that's getting done in a couple weeks. Already have the parts. Not really a can of worms I am looking forward to opening with the bleeding issues and that one line being impossible to find if you need to replace it. Thankfully there are a dozen or so Ions at wreckers near me.

Will be doing the timing chain soon after that. I definitely don't want to go through another Canadian winter knowing what I know. Those -20 to -30 cold starts make me really nervous.

On that subject any recommendations on a timing kit? I am looking at a Cloyes kit from RockAuto?

Last edited by Anduuhar; 06-02-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

I use Cloyes in my cars, I have never had a problem.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:32 AM

Before you do the clutch, use pb blaster or similar to soak the clutch line. Hit it at both ends a few times before you start the job. Even starting a day or two before would help drastically.
BEnch bleed the slave cylinder. And not a bad idea to do the clutch master while the system is open. Which you'd also want to bench bleed.
Didnt know you were in Canada, so you probably want to start soaking most things days in advance to try and keep the issues down. Hopefully it's not rusted out. LIke Andy said, cloyes kit is best. Timing is not something to cheap out on.
Double and triple check the marks. And cloyes even has a video on YouTube for timing an ecotec.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:15 PM

Before you do the clutch, use pb blaster or similar to soak the clutch line. Hit it at both ends a few times before you start the job. Even starting a day or two before would help drastically.
BEnch bleed the slave cylinder. And not a bad idea to do the clutch master while the system is open. Which you'd also want to bench bleed.
Didnt know you were in Canada, so you probably want to start soaking most things days in advance to try and keep the issues down. Hopefully it's not rusted out. LIke Andy said, cloyes kit is best. Timing is not something to cheap out on.
Double and triple check the marks. And cloyes even has a video on YouTube for timing an ecotec.
I absolutely plan on dousing everything ahead of time...I was going to start a week in advance lol.

Fortunately in Alberta they don't go hog wild with the salt like the do out east. Temps in the winter are usually too cold for salt to be effective anyway so they just plow and throw sand down. The roads hardly ever get wet and slushy. I have done a bunch of brake and suspension work lately and there is surprisingly little rust.

After watching some videos I have decided the clutch job is a bit out of my pay grade so a mechanic friend is going to help me out. He is a retired Calgary Transit mechanic and he does a lot of jobs on his own now. He has a shop with couple lifts...the whole nine yards, so eveything is good there.

I may or may not do the timing job myself...depends on time(no pun intended...)... Andy's recommendation and Cloyes' video was what really sold me on using them not to mention the name was familiar.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:53 AM
Default Rear anti sway bar 04 ion

I have on 03 ion but check Whiteline Sway Bar Saturn Ion (03-07) Astra (2008) [24mm] Rear BHR75Z

Confirm if your rear beam pattern would work with ZZPs rear sway bar as well.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Simbawaserengeti
I have on 03 ion but check Whiteline Sway Bar Saturn Ion (03-07) Astra (2008) [24mm] Rear BHR75Z

Confirm if your rear beam pattern would work with ZZPs rear sway bar as well.
Zzps won't work with 03/04. Only 05-07

Quick Reply: In search of 04 rear anti sway bar.