Remote Entry Swap Between Donor Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 12:02 AM
Default Remote Entry Swap Between Donor Cars

I bought a 2005 Saturn ion a year ago. It as power locks and trunk, hand crank windows but did not come with any remote for unlock. I’m guessing that it previously had a remote unlock device, I pulled a module out from under the drivers side dash. I also have a 2005 Saturn l300 with a remote to unlock it. Power locks and windows.

is it possible to swap the RKE module directly into my ion in order to use remote unlock?

let me know if you need more info. The l300 is not at my house right now so I don’t have a lot of info on it.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shady
I bought a 2005 Saturn ion a year ago. It as power locks and trunk, hand crank windows but did not come with any remote for unlock. I’m guessing that it previously had a remote unlock device, I pulled a module out from under the drivers side dash. I also have a 2005 Saturn l300 with a remote to unlock it. Power locks and windows.

is it possible to swap the RKE module directly into my ion in order to use remote unlock?

let me know if you need more info. The l300 is not at my house right now so I don’t have a lot of info on it.
It would seem from some limited research that ion 2 vehicles that did not come from the factory require per GM procedures a different BCM in order to enable rke functionality..

​​​​​​https://www.justanswer.com/saturn/7d...aturn-ion.html

I'm not sure if this new BCM is physically different or if it is simply the same BCM programmed differently. I don't think the BCM you have has an rke option to select in its programming menu, therefore you cannot just flash your existing BCM.

You could try an aftermarket security system but it has to play nice with GM's passlock ii system which is, you guessed it, integrated into the body control module.

I did not research the L Series portion of this because it is the BCM, not the rke module itself that seems to require a replacement and programming.

The information above exceeds my knowledge of rke on ions.