Pwr windows, mirror and locks - not working.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Default Pwr windows, mirror and locks - not working.

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion 4 door. A few days ago my pwr windows stopped working on my car (All 4). No windows will go down from either switches. After further investigation, my pwr mirrors, and power lock does not work from drivers side. The pwr lock works from the passenger side. I took the door apart and verified wiring going to master switch and it does seem to be getting pwr. I thought maybe it was the switch, so purchased one and tried replacing it and no change. The 30a fuse for pwr windows is good. My question is, Is there a relay or another fuse that would cause this to happen? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I would bring it to a mechanic but just paid 530$ to get control arm and steering shaft replaced. I'd like to be able to fix this myself. Oh and also the wiring seems all intact, no broken wires (on drivers side)...haven't verified any other swtich.

Thanks in advance

Denis

Old 11-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Wires break in the umbilical part of the door harness. It may have just lost the ground to kill all three functions. All windows run through the drivers door switch so if it doesn’t work none will. I don’t have any Ion schematics I only have L series books.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Wires break in the umbilical part of the door harness. It may have just lost the ground to kill all three functions. All windows run through the drivers door switch so if it doesn’t work none will. I don’t have any Ion schematics I only have L series books.
I spent 2 hours this weekend doing electrical testing for the power mirror switch. I found there was no 12V coming into the switch (orange wire) so that's the problem. All BCM fuses are intact and good. Checked them. I have the wiring diagrams. The 12V comes from the BCM (body control module) under the center of the dash. So now I'm stuck trying to figure out why there is no 12V coming from the BCM to the power mirror switch. I don't feel like taking the door apart or getting under the dash to troubleshoot the BCM factory harness and it's connectors. Not worth it. I may make the problem worse. I'm really disappointed. I know i can fix this - I just don't feel like taking the car apart to troubleshoot further. I suppose maybe i can door the door panel off and see if the problem is in there - but that would be very unlikely in my opinion. All factory assembled harness inside door panel.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:10 AM

Stupid question, I'm sure, but I'll ask it anyway. Have you checked your fuses in both the inside and under hood fuse box? I don't have a schematic and have never even looked at an Ion, but most modern cars have two fuse boxes. One under the hood and one inside the car. And most are labeled so you can find what you're looking for. Maybe look in the owners manual and see if they have a diagram of one or both fuse boxes too.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Stupid question, I'm sure, but I'll ask it anyway. Have you checked your fuses in both the inside and under hood fuse box? I don't have a schematic and have never even looked at an Ion, but most modern cars have two fuse boxes. One under the hood and one inside the car. And most are labeled so you can find what you're looking for. Maybe look in the owners manual and see if they have a diagram of one or both fuse boxes too.
YES. I have full wiring diagrams. The orange wire is the 12V power to the power mirror switch. There is no 12V on that wire - regardless of the ignition key position. It's supposed to be hot at all times always (except if interior lights are left on for a period of time - then BCM turns off 12V supply to orange wire)

I checked all fuses under the hood and under the dash. all fuses are intact (no empty slots) and all tested good. Either the BCM is not sending 12V on the orange wire - or it is sending 12V and there is a break in the circuit between the BCM and the driver door harness/connector. I would have to take it apart to do further testing - and not sure i want to do that. I may damage something in the process...........

Old 03-15-2022, 08:42 AM

Just because a fuse tests good, doesn't necessarily mean it's working. On a car that age, there could be a slight build up of corrosion on the contacts. If you know which fuse it is, I'd probe the fuse box after removing the fuse from the socket and make sure that 12v is getting to the fuse box. If so, maybe pulling and putting the fuse back in a few times will "sweep" any light corrosion off and you'll be in business. If no voltage to the fuse box, then you'll know it's between the BCM and fuse box. And I'm like you, I don't like electrical work. Especially in confined spaces.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:59 AM

the wiring diagram for the power mirrors is confusing. It just shows "Inadvertent 12V Power" "LOGIC" The "logic" means it's an inadvertent 12V supply, whereas it's switched off in about 20 minutes if the interior lights are left on. Otherwise HOT at all times.

It also shows a 20A fuse in the BCM - but there is no 20A fuse in the BCM.

you can see the "ORG" wire on PIN-1 at the Power Mirror Switch. I tested that and there is no 12V to ground on that wire - regardless of the ignition key position. All fuses in the BCM were pulled - inspected and tested good..

Old 03-15-2022, 02:56 PM

If you look at the diagram of the relays and fuses in the BCM, note that the BCM ELECT fuse is shown as a 7.5A fuse. The wiring diagram identifies this fuse the same way, BCM ELECT, but shows it as a 20A fuse. In the section of the FSM that covers the power mirrors, it lists the components as Mirror direction switch, Mirror select switch, Left outside mirror, Right outside mirror, and BCM ELECT 7.5A fuse.

I think the wiring diagram is probably wrong. Check the fuse in the BCM at the top, next to the fuel pump fuse. Make sure it's showing 12V on both sides.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:02 PM

I pulled that 7.5A fuse a few days ago. Looks good and tested with ohm meter. all was good.

that said - I agree it's suspect.

I'll pull the fuse and check it again - then I'll test the BCM fuse socket for that 7.5A fuse and see if there is 12V there (Hot Side). If YES - I will replace with new fuse anyways and see what happens. If NO, then I either jump in front of a train or keep trying..........

Old 03-17-2022, 07:54 PM
Default Power Mirrors Not Working

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
can you help me fix my power mirrors?

i've spent hours on it already. I've determined there is no power going to the Outside Rearview Mirror Switch in driver side door.

checked every fuse under hood and in BCM several times. Replace many. No luck.

I have wiring diagrams. They show a 20A fuse to BCM (inadvertent power supply) that feeds the Mirror Switch on a Orange wire. There is no 12V on that wire. There is no 20A fuse anywhere on that car. Confusing. Frustrating.

I'm ready to remove the door panel and jump (splice) the 12V from the power windows switch to the power mirror switch.

Lee

Quick Reply: Pwr windows, mirror and locks - not working.