Need help with locating the fuel pump "hot" wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 11:57 PM
Default Need help with locating the fuel pump "hot" wire

The Ion is a 2004 and I am making it into a circle track dirt car. As part of the rules I need to install a battery disconect to kill the motor.....As we all know if I just run the battery cable through the kill switch the alt will keep the vehicle running so I want to hook up a rocker / toggle swirch on the fuel pump power wire to kill the power to the fuel pump which will cause the engine to die.
Question #1: I have located the fuel pump fuse but im having a hard time identifying the pin on the connector to the fuse pannel going out to the fuel pump. I think the wires going to the fuel pump run out of the vehicles interior in the passeger rear and its covered by a metal "thing" that says Lear with 10361525 on it. can somebody tell me wich wire I need to use on the rocker / toggle switch.

Question #2: Does anybody see an issue with me doing it this way and if so, what and how should I go about killing the engine?

Again this forum is a great place to learn and bounce ideas off each other, thanks for all yawls help
Scott

Old 12-13-2022, 10:15 AM

The power wire to the fuel pump comes out of the BCM. Looking at the left (driver's) side of the BCM, you will see the fuel pump fuse and the fuel pump relay. You'll have to gain access to the right (passenger's) side and find the correct wire. It's in connector 1, the lower of the two long 37(?) pin connectors. It's a gray wire on pin 18, second from the right on the lower row of wires. Once confirmed, you should be able to splice in a toggle switch on that wire.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the reply and info.there is a plate in the back passenger side that says Lear on it with wire coming out of it, i believe these go ro the fuel pump, do you know if this wire color changes, jusrt in case i cant locate the right pin number

Old 12-13-2022, 08:25 PM

Somewhere between the BCM and the fuel pump, the gray wire is spliced to a pink/black wire. No number or any other information on the location of the splice. The ground wire to the pump is black.