ION 2006 winter tires and rims ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Default ION 2006 winter tires and rims ????

Hi All,

yeah I'm a newbie... bought a Saturn ION 2006.

I'm currently trying to shop for rims for it as it came with 16" mags.
205 55 R16 is what is one there right now and is recommended in the owner's manual, which I did read and downloaded a pdf version for search convenience.

Anyone on here as a similar ION and what kind of rims do you have on it for winter ?

Winter tires are legally necessary here... I wouldn't drive without them in our winter anyway but it's been illegal to do otherwise for a few years now.

I have a hard time finding 16" rims with 4x100 bolt pattern for my ION 2006 to use for winter tires. Not giving up tho 2 local places I still didn't go and shop at. I have been told by 2 places that 16" isn't a valid size for my car... (go figure it came with Saturn mag that size and that is mentioned in teh manual...) anyway if I should use 15" for winter I would think there would be a mention for it in the owner's manual to start with as a possible option for tires on that model.

So what do you use on yours ???

Tires are easy to find... just wondering about the rims. I might have to ring up a GM dealer and ask... but that will definately be pricier but if I have no choice I will.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 AM

195/60X15 are about perfect for winters tires.................and if a shop has no idea what size tires and wheels came on a car, I'd find a new tire shop.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM

fined a set of steel wheels for your winter tires

Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by RjION
195/60X15 are about perfect for winters tires.................and if a shop has no idea what size tires and wheels came on a car, I'd find a new tire shop.
That's my intent I'm staying away from those...

Currently I have 4 seasons on there which are 205 55 R16 on Saturn Mags.

I like that size so I'm trying to find rims for that size. No luck so far.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by slowgls
fined a set of steel wheels for your winter tires
Definately want to do that ! I having each sets on its own wheel is cost effective.

I've been doing my own wheel changes for as long has I have been driving... now I do it with the kids so they learn how to do it as they grow up and it's an event in itself when I do the change in the fall and spring.

Anybody on here has 205 55 R16 on steel rims for their ION ?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 PM

try ebay,

here i found some on ebay.This j/y has like 5 or 6 posting for saturn 15's.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SATUR...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by slowgls; 09-08-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Will look at ebay for sure might find some 16" in there.. .hopefully not too far from me so I can pick them up. Looking at classifieds also... been looking at a couple of places and spreaded the word. Harder to find then rims for a my older cavalier. Stilll the Colbalt is based on teh same platform as my Ion so I'm not worried at all for parts

Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM

Just to keep you posted...

I'll be able to get 16" steel rims thru the GM dealer. Which is what I'm gonna do.

I have a lead on some barely used Pirelli Carving Edge 205/55R 16 Winter Tires.

Oh I just got my tints done... so some pictures are coming so I can set up an avatar on here

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Good deal ............. thats a relief.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Yeah rims should be here mid october or so.

Tires depends... I have to make a long drive(2-3hr) to go and pick them up so I'm trying to plan the trip to do more than just pickup those tires. Will most likely turn into a visit on the way to some relatives and some other side things.

Can't wait to be all done... didn't forget about pictures... just didn't have time yet and I want to figure out the location in order to have a nice background.

Quick Reply: ION 2006 winter tires and rims ????