HELP! Tensioner Trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Default HELP! Tensioner Trouble!

I Have a 2005 Saturn Ion 1, Manual Transaxle, and when I was replacing my altenator i was having trouble figuring out how to get the belt off , i eventually used a 15mm wrench to loosen the tensioner nut/bolt . where the issue is , is that no matter how tight i RE tighten that damn nut, my belt squeaks RELENTLESSLY, AND everywhere i read im seeing that I was supposed to have used a tensioner tool .
idk what I need to do now to get my belt tightened back up. In case it matters I have the model with A/C

Old 11-22-2020, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

You need to remove the belt again and reinstall the tensioner correctly. There is an alignment pin for the tensioner and it only fits in one position. Now after you have done that you need to use a 3/8” ratchet and push the tensioner against the spring to install the belt. The spring keeps tension on the belt. There should be several You-tube videos on how to do this.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
You need to remove the belt again and reinstall the tensioner correctly. There is an alignment pin for the tensioner and it only fits in one position. Now after you have done that you need to use a 3/8” ratchet and push the tensioner against the spring to install the belt. The spring keeps tension on the belt. There should be several You-tube videos on how to do this.
ok thank you, i will try this tomorrow then get back with the results. Also one more thing, i dont want to start a whole new thread for this quick question, anyways, can i use Autolite platinum spark plugs in my car?

Old 11-22-2020, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

They will probably work fine, I prefer the iridium AC plug in my engines.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:31 PM

Ok thanks

Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 AM

I am going to O'Reillys Auto Parts in about an hour to rent a belt tensioner tool, I'm still a little confused on what I need to do tho, do I need to loosen that nut again?, or tighten it up? Do I put the tool into the square hole and pull up or down?

Old 11-24-2020, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

After you remove the belt, loosen the tensioner bolt. Look at a picture of a new tensioner on line. The pin fits in a hole in the front cover to hold its position. Once you get the tensioner back where it goes tighten the bolt. Now put a ratchet of belt tool in the 3/8” square hole and rotate the tensioner up. This takes pressure off the belt, while holding the tensioner released slip the belt into position. It my take a few times to get everything lined up correctly. I can take a picture or two if you need a visual.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

See the pin cast into the tenioner.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:47 AM

I don't see the pin in the picture, and now that I think about it ive never noticed a pin during any of the 10+ times ive re tightened it

Old 11-24-2020, 12:53 PM

Thank u i got it finaly . nevr did find the pin tho

Quick Reply: HELP! Tensioner Trouble!