Curious question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned
Default Curious question

I have a dilemma with my 2003 ion. I can't afford a new transmission and I'm not sure what I should do. The engine starts right up, the car goes in reverse just not forward. I have updated a few parts and just feel that the 183$ the pick and pull offered is kind of offensive. Can anyone give me some sort of direction?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM

Two stupid questions. First, have you checked the fluid level in it and second, have you ever had a fluid and filter change done on it? If not, I'd start with those two things and see what happens.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:52 PM

Do you have a Coupe or Sedan?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Banned

I have checked everything. I have even taken it to a transmission shop. He wants two grand to fix it and I know the car isn't worth that. Thank you for responding to my question though!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Banned

It is a sedan

Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Did the guy at the shop tell you what he THINKS is wrong with it, other than telling you it would cost that much to replace it? Even at two grand, if the rest of the car is in good shape, it may be worth considering. You sure as hell can't buy much of a replacement car for that and a down payment that low on a new car won't make much difference either. Paid for, cheap to insure and spend two grand or take on new car payments for six or seven years and have to get full coverage insurance. That dilemna is something only you can answer. If it were me and I had the money, I'd probably get the trans replaced or repaired.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default EDIT: Sedan Auto Trans is NOT a CVT

I completely agree with Rube's logic --- however we need to know is this a manual or CVT auto trans? The answer makes a big difference. I'm guessing CVT. This greatly influences my opinion.
EDIT: This is NOT a CVT
Rebuilding what's wrong with it now may or may not significantly extend its life. A complete rebuild would have a better chance but tranny shops are known to cut corners since you can't ever tell. They may cut a corner (lack of parts availability, etc) that takes 5 years off the life of your new tranny. Or it fails in a month---great...it's under warranty from them. Now what? They just demonstrated the quality of their work to you.

You're prob being quoted for a complete rebuild.

For all you know they are buying that $183 tranny from the pick n pull and using it as a donor tranny for yours. Much more profit for them as their total parts cost is $183.

Oh, and then there's the "change 5 parts so it won't fail until after warranty ends" trick but you pay for a full rebuild.

Why am I so jaded towards tranny shops (I knew you were gonna ask)?
I had a 1980 Grenada that, after a bizarre series of events, would not idle under 2000rpm. If I took it out for a drive, I had to manually shift it (1,2,D) or it would slip out of gear into neutral. Foot off gas, back into gear.

Took to national chain tranny shop

1) claimed they diagnosed it in under an hour (I surprised them on purpose by returning early)
2) told me I needed a complete rebuild
3) tried to scare me into the rebuild --- service manager actually yelling at me b/c I said no

True issue: Timing jumped a tooth. Not enough vacuum created to properly operate the tranny

I'd sooner pay for a low mileage CVT EDIT: THIS IS NOT A CVT --normal auto tranny pulled from a crashed vehicle and labor to someone you can trust to do the swap (AND recondition the trans and seals so it doesn't self destruct from years of sitting ) than take my chances at a 2K fustercluck where you have no idea who is doing what to your tranny.

There is the option of converting to a manual; several members have recently completed said conversion.

Last edited by derf; 01-07-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Did the guy at the shop tell you what he THINKS is wrong with it, other than telling you it would cost that much to replace it? Even at two grand, if the rest of the car is in good shape, it may be worth considering. You sure as hell can't buy much of a replacement car for that and a down payment that low on a new car won't make much difference either. Paid for, cheap to insure and spend two grand or take on new car payments for six or seven years and have to get full coverage insurance. That dilemna is something only you can answer. If it were me and I had the money, I'd probably get the trans replaced or repaired.
Thank you for your input, the positive from this is greatly appreciated

Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
I completely agree with Rube's logic --- however we need to know is this a manual or CVT auto trans? The answer makes a big difference. I'm guessing CVT. This greatly influences my opinion.

If it's a CVT, it's a death sentence transmission. Rebuilding what's wrong with it now may or may not significantly extend its life. A complete rebuild would have a better chance but tranny shops are known to cut corners since you can't ever tell. They may cut a corner (lack of parts availability, etc) that takes 5 years off the life of your new tranny. Or it fails in a month---great...it's under warranty from them. Now what? They just demonstrated the quality of their work to you.

You're prob being quoted for a complete rebuild.

For all you know they are buying that $183 tranny from the pick n pull and using it as a donor tranny for yours. Much more profit for them as their total parts cost is $183.

Oh, and then there's the "change 5 parts so it won't fail until after warranty ends" trick but you pay for a full rebuild.

Why am I so jaded towards tranny shops (I knew you were gonna ask)?
I had a 1980 Grenada that, after a bizarre series of events, would not idle under 2000rpm. If I took it out for a drive, I had to manually shift it (1,2,D) or it would slip out of gear into neutral. Foot off gas, back into gear.

Took to national chain tranny shop

1) claimed they diagnosed it in under an hour (I surprised them on purpose by returning early)
2) told me I needed a complete rebuild
3) tried to scare me into the rebuild --- service manager actually yelling at me b/c I said no

True issue: Timing jumped a tooth. Not enough vacuum created to properly operate the tranny

I'd sooner pay for a low mileage CVT pulled from a crashed vehicle and labor to someone you can trust to do the swap (AND recondition the trans and seals so it doesn't self destruct from years of sitting ) than take my chances at a 2K fustercluck where you have no idea who is doing what to your tranny.

There is the option of converting to a manual; several members have recently completed said conversion.
Thank you! It is a automatic. I really value your opinion! I am going to see if there are any manual transmissions in my area. The gentlemen at the transmission shop said that in order to better diagnose he needed to open it up but said that he wasn't going to do it unless I was fully committed to him doing a complete overhaul if needed. He said it's a waist of his time to tell the client what's wrong with their transmission and have them go somewhere cheaper.. So maybe finding a better shop is in order as well

Old 01-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

OOOOOPPPPSSS

You said sedan. That did NOT come with the CVT automatic. Only the coupes did.

So basically ignore my references to the CVT, it does NOT apply to your situation. But the rest of the info does.

However, I would NEVER use a tranny shop that quoted me a price to fix something without telling me what is wrong. If that isn't a red flag, I don't know what is.

Finding a low mileage tranny (Aisin AF23 5-speed automatic transmission was stock, may be alternatives) and go for it or do the manual conversion. Used auto tranny + labor should not be 2k.

SORRY for the misdirection on this one. Nobody's perfect.

Last edited by derf; 01-07-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Curious question