Crankshaft/camshaft sensor code with check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 06:12 PM
Default Crankshaft/camshaft sensor code with check engine light

2007 Saturn ion 2.2L eco-tec
check engine light suddenly appears, as they always seem to do, I first attempt the replacement of the crankshaft sensor(daunting task) yes it is simply nestled above the starter no that doesn’t make it any easier.
ultimately I removed the intake plenum to get to this 3/4”x2” sensor, place gaskets, reinstall everything triple check wire connections, check engine light still on.
I then replace camshaft sensor ( 30 second job as apposed to 3 days and parts store trips) check engine light still on
OBD-2 will not clear code
HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 09-02-2023, 06:19 PM

What code(s) are there that will not clear?

Old 09-02-2023, 06:25 PM

P0016
crankshaft position
camshaft position
correlation Bank 1

Old 09-02-2023, 07:27 PM

Researching a little further, P0016 indicates that the correlation discrepancy is with the intake cam. If the discrepancy were on the exhaust cam, the code would be P0017. There are two camshaft position sensors, one for each cam. You said you had already replaced one, was it for the exhaust cam (toward the rear of the engine) or for the intake cam (toward the front of the engine)? If you only replaced the exhaust CMP sensor, it's possible that the problem could be from the Intake CMP sensor.

The 2007 Ion with the 2.2L Ecotec was the first one that had variable cam timing, and actually the first one that had CMP sensors, so there is a much different set of DTCs for cam timing on that engine.

Last edited by oldmarine; 09-02-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:34 PM

I did in fact only replace the intake sensor
I will change out the exhaust and let you know
thank you

Old 09-03-2023, 11:40 AM

oldmarine

Do you happen to know the location of the exhaust cam position sensor?

Old 09-03-2023, 01:34 PM

Both sensors are mounted on the outboard faces (exhaust and intake) of the cylinder head, at the left (driver's) end of the engine. I'll attach a YouTube video of a guy removing the sensors on a similar engine, but one with GDI, which partially blocks access to the intake cam sensor. Exhaust cam sensor removal starts at about 3:30 into the video, and intake cam sensor removal starts at about 14:50 into the video (removing the high pressure fuel pump shield first).

Old 09-04-2023, 07:29 AM

oldmarine

im still having trouble. I am not finding a cam sensor on the backside of this engine. Based on the video instruction you sent, the sensor should be below the cast tab for the valve cover, unfortunately there is only a ground cable. Below that is a coolant fitting.
Any chance you’d have any other suggestions?

Attached Files
Old 09-04-2023, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

According to the following link, there was a mid-year change from one CMP to 2 CMPs.

Text and image loaded here so it becomes part of our forum.
-------
2007 Chevy cobalt 2.2 I hear that their are 2 cam shaft sensors. I changed the one in the front, can't find the other. Crank shaft sensor was changed also. Front of the car engine , by the intake. Above the oil filter

Response:

There was a mid year change in 2007, went from one sensor to 2 sensors, intake and exhaust sensors, so if yours does in fact have 2, here is the location view in the diagram below.
​​​​​​

2007 ecotec 2.2
note arrow facing front of vehicle

#11 and #13 are the cam sensors with #11 on the exhaust manifold side reading the exhaust cam.

​​​​​​Source:

https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/9fp...-2-2-hear.html

The 2.2 ecotec I was used in the cobalt and elsewhere in the GM line.

I am historically bad at answering ion questions, so you may wish to read up on what is stated above to be sure I am pointing you in the correct direction.

You can also try to look up the part number for the exhaust CMP using your VIN as the filter in the search engine. If it doesn't come back with one, then your car probably only has one. But nothing is fool. Your VIN is the key there.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:30 AM

I apologize for the somewhat vague guidance. I have an FSM (equivalent?) for the 2005-2007 Ion, and it shows two engine options, the 2.2L and the 2.4L versions of the ecotec. Under the 2.2L, the manual shows nothing at all regarding CMPs (earlier versions - 2003 to 2006 - of the Ion 2.2L had no CMP). So I looked under the 2.4L, found where the CMPs were located, and verified on YouTube with other models using the 2.2L in 2007 or later.
The earlier version 2.2L also had no DTCs smaller than P0030 in the manual, so the P0016 was not covered. The 2.4L engine information did, however cover this DTC. I was not aware until derf provided the information that early 2007 2.2L engines had only one CMP. I did not come across that information anywhere in my research. Thanks, derf!
I did find on Wikipedia that the L61 engine (2.2L ecotec) was extensively upgraded in 2007 borrowing on the 2.4L (LE5) engine technology including variable valve timing, separate coil on plug ignition, and structural changes that increased horsepower from 140 to 145.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft/camshaft sensor code with check engine light