Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Default Aftermarket Stereo

Hello everyone,

I have been watching and reading about people integrating tablets into their cars for stereo purposes or really anything.

So, I have decided im going to do this in my 2006 saturn ion 2 for no particular reason in general, just because. Heres whats existing: Pioneer HU, Infinity Amps for speakers and Seperate infinity amp for Subs, two 12" in the trunk.

Originally I had the idea to just move the stereo and hiding it somewhere, but after thinking this fully through, that just cant happen. So heres the new thought and i need some help thinking this through. I want to redesign the dash plate that covers the stereo, two vents and A/C controls. I want to extend the opening for the stereo, lose the little cubby, lost the Pass Air bag piece and move the hazard button to.... Who cares... However, im not especially skilled with using Bondo or whatever material should be used... Hence why i am here.

So now that the idea has been formed, Please help finish the fabrication process. What should i use? Should i be using Bondo, sand it down and paint that whole piece some color? Would something work better?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 PM

Sounds like it's up to you or a local friend that can do it for you.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM

I can figure out the correct way to shape the Bondo to make it exactly what i want, I just wanted to know if it was the right material and if there was a better way to do it other than bondo. If thats the best way to redesign it, then thats whats going to happen.

Looks like im off to the junkyard when i get a chance to see if i can find a spare dash kit.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM

I would use fiberglass. Bondo doesn't have any support and it will crack. Make a skeleton of what you want out of wood or steel, then wrap it with fiberglass, and then sand it smooth. After that you can seal it and paint it. I hope you have some skills and tools, that is going to be a tough project. I'm not a big stereo guy, but if I were going to try to do what you are, that is what I would use.