2007 Saturn Ion III Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Default 2007 Saturn Ion III Problem

Hello Saturn Enthusiasts,
I just joined to try to diagnose and fix an issue that has been intermittent the past few months.

My car temperature gauge intermittently does not work (goes all the way down past the cool mark) and when this happens, my AC does not work. The strange thing about this is that it goes off for multiple days at a time and then out of the blue starts working whenever I am in the middle of driving, then my AC works.

I have gotten the ODB code and it is P0128 - Coolant temp is always low (see attachment Error Code.png). As such, I checked the coolant (good level) and I changed out the engine coolant temperature sensor. This has not fixed my issue.

It also seems that if the temperature gauge is not working, then I can disconnect the car battery for a short time, reconnect and it starts working for an indefinite amount of time until the next intermittent issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Saturn Ion III Problem-error-code.jpg  

Last edited by bartelbjones; 01-24-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:40 PM

Thermostat been changed? Sounds as though it's stuck open....

Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Please stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself.

If you plan on staying, go into the User CP at the top right (in the drop down by your username) and create a signature with your name and cars so we can help out in the future as well without wasting our time trying to figure out what car you have.

And onto the Ion. They really are beautiful cars.
Swap the thermostat as stated above. I have an extra one I can sell to you cheap, if you want to go that route. I do my business through paypal.
Also, the notorious COOLANT message. Ahhh, so much fun.
You need a new coolant tank. The sensor went bad, but the issue is it is built into the tank, so you cant replace just that.
I got mine from a junk yard for $5. I know that's a gamble, but its held up for I want to say a year now.
Post some pictures. I love Ions. Really, I have 3 1/2 of em.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't sound like it's running cold to me -- sounds like flaky ECTS or wiring issue. However the part that doesn't fit is that a battery disconnect brings it back to life.

bbjones---does the battery disconnect work 100% of the time?

goalie -- are there two different ECTS's on an Ion? I certainly believe you about the one in the tank, but bbjones said he already replaced the ECTS, so I'm confused.

bbjones--did you already replace the sensor with tank?

Originally Posted by bartelbjones
Hello Saturn Enthusiasts,
I just joined to try to diagnose and fix an issue that has been intermittent the past few months.

My car temperature gauge intermittently does not work (goes all the way down past the cool mark) and when this happens, my AC does not work. The strange thing about this is that it goes off for multiple days at a time and then out of the blue starts working whenever I am in the middle of driving, then my AC works.

I have gotten the ODB code and it is P0128 - Coolant temp is always low (see attachment Error Code.png). As such, I checked the coolant (good level) and I changed out the engine coolant temperature sensor. This has not fixed my issue.

It also seems that if the temperature gauge is not working, then I can disconnect the car battery for a short time, reconnect and it starts working for an indefinite amount of time until the next intermittent issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Cory

Old 06-02-2015, 02:41 AM

Not that I know of.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Doesn't sound like it's running cold to me -- sounds like flaky ECTS or wiring issue. However the part that doesn't fit is that a battery disconnect brings it back to life.

bbjones---does the battery disconnect work 100% of the time?

goalie -- are there two different ECTS's on an Ion? I certainly believe you about the one in the tank, but bbjones said he already replaced the ECTS, so I'm confused.

bbjones--did you already replace the sensor with tank?

bbjones---does the battery disconnect work 100% of the time? - I would like to say yes, but there was one time that I disconnected it for just a couple of seconds and it did not work. However every other time (~5 times) it has brought the gauge back to normal working condition. Does this reset the on board computer system?? I too am curious as to why this seems to work.

I replaced the ECTS close to the engine. I was not aware there was one in the tank until just now.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to reply ASAP, however I will be at work and unable to reply for the next ~10 hours.

Thanks,
Cory

Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by tooter1
Thermostat been changed? Sounds as though it's stuck open....
The thermostat has not been changed, due to when the gauge is working, it works flawlessly. I can try this route, but did not think it was the thermostat after talking with a few individuals at work.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by goaliemo
Welcome to the Forum.
Please stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself.

If you plan on staying, go into the User CP at the top right (in the drop down by your username) and create a signature with your name and cars so we can help out in the future as well without wasting our time trying to figure out what car you have.

And onto the Ion. They really are beautiful cars.
Swap the thermostat as stated above. I have an extra one I can sell to you cheap, if you want to go that route. I do my business through paypal.
Also, the notorious COOLANT message. Ahhh, so much fun.
You need a new coolant tank. The sensor went bad, but the issue is it is built into the tank, so you cant replace just that.
I got mine from a junk yard for $5. I know that's a gamble, but its held up for I want to say a year now.
Post some pictures. I love Ions. Really, I have 3 1/2 of em.

Thanks for the advice on a new coolant tank. I will replace the thermostat per tooter1 and your advice as well as look into a replacement coolant tank.

Nobody thinks it could be the body control module? That is one of the only things that makes sense to me as to why a battery disconnect / reconnect would work. I will try the battery trick more as the intermittent issue shows up to make 100% sure that a long disconnect brings the temp gauge back to life.

Thanks,
Cory

Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 AM

BCM will have no effect on items engine related. It's a BODY CONTROL MODULE. I know you're asking because of the gauge, but it's not a part of the cluster either.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Default Battery Disconnect / Reconnect

It turns out my work did not block this forum . So...

I left this morning and was driving into work and my temp gauge was working. However, about 10 minutes into the drive, it stopped working - as did my AC.

Once I got to work, I disconnected the battery for about 30 seconds and then reconnected it. I then started the car back up and the gauge / AC started working again.

Let me know if you have any other ideas besides replacing the thermostat / coolant tank.

Thanks,
Cory

Edit: I would like to mention that the temp gauge/AC does not work about 70-80% of the time. So, the hot season is fastly approaching me in the panhandle of Texas and I would like to get this fixed so my AC works .

Last edited by bartelbjones; 06-02-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Saturn Ion III Problem