2007 Saturn Ion - Coolant Warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Default 2007 Saturn Ion - Coolant Warning

We have a 2007 Saturn ION 2 with 34K miles and recently have been getting a "Coolant" notice in the information center. I checked the reserve tank and it is plenty full and was wondering where you add antifreeze to the radiator and what the "coolant" warning actually means. The engine temperature has always been in the safe zone. Thanks

Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Banned

The level sensor in the reserve tank is either stuck or broken. You could remove the tank from the car, partially fill the tank with liquid dish soap and water, and shake the heck out of the tank for a couple of minutes -- that should clean the sensor. Then flush the tank thoroughly, reinstall and refill the tank with 50/50 antifreeze mix. If that doesn't work, then you will probably have to replace the assembly.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM

You fill the radiator via the coolant bottle.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 PM

I'd use some CLR in there with the soap, if you remove it and try cleaning it.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Default 2007 Saturn Ion-3 2.2 Liter COOLANT Message

Be careful, I had the same condition with my 2007 ION-3.

At 100,000 Mile service I had both the Cooling System and Transmission Flush Services done by the dealer; my car was only serviced by Saturn and then a Chevrolet Service Center.

At about 103,000 miles, the COOLANT message appeared in the Instrument Cluster. This happened on a cold start. I turned the engine off and checked for leaks and found no signs of any on the floor, at hoses, at the overflow reservoir, etc...

I checked my hard copy Owners Manual and did not find any mention of the COOLANT message. I checked internet sites like this one and found advice that stated that IF the temperature gage indicates normal level, then the cause is related to the coolant sensor in the reservoir bottle.

As the temperature was measuring normal I decided that I must have found the problem: the sensor.

I decided to drive the car this way and to address it in a week or so when I had time to make it in for service.

Too bad that I did not heed the COOLANT message.

The COOLANT message was an indication that the Transmission Cooler inside the radiator had started leaking. This internal leak caused a mixing of coolant and transmission fluid.

The mixing fluid apparently was detected as a change in conductance / resistivity as measured by the coolant sensor.

The leak started out small and other than the COOLANT message, was not obvious. to me.

Unfortunately on my way home from work (20 miles or so into the trip) the transmission cooler burst inside the radiator and caused a massive overheat condition as the transmission fluid flooded into the radiator / engine cooling system and burst out of the reservoir.

Radiator + Transmission destroyed. Engine possibly damaged by operation during loss of coolant event. I pulled off the road as soon as I saw the needle start to rise above the normal level.

Estimated cost of repair 4500.00.

A loss of my extremely well-maintained / cared-for vehicle that should have lasted another 100,000 miles at least.

I did express my dismay concerning this catastrophic failure with General Motors to no meaningful avail.

If you encounter this COOLANT message, I would suggest that you have the radiator checked for possible weakness in the transmission cooler section.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:02 PM

That's a darn odd happening to any car, anything is possible. Yet when ever getting a coolant or over heat message you should always check the condition of both the oil and the coolant looking for an indication of a system leak.............

I'd like to know why the LOW coolant light would come on if the coolant had tranny fluid in it. It's a low coolant light, and only reads coolant level. If the coolant level is correct than seeing it's only a coolant level light the next thing is the sensor is bad. It does not indicate if the system is contaminated.

You had two separate issues that can to light at near the me time...and it is very odd that the tranny cooler inside of the radiator would rot away. Guessing someone put the wrong coolant in the cooling system.

Coolant leval light
Coolant temp gauge

Last edited by sw2cam; 10-12-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Default 2007 Saturn Ion - Coolant Warning

Thanks for the response sw2cam,

I was kind of amazed myself at how this happened. But that is what happened. There were no outward signs of leaking when the COOLANT message came on. The Engine Oil level was fine. The coolant level in the reservoir was fine. I did not check the Transmission Fluid Level. Both the Cooling System and Transmission had been serviced (flushed) by the Chevrolet Service Center at 101,000 Miles along with an oil change and new front axle seals.

Obviously I am quite unhappy about the loss of my vehicle due to this issue. I somewhat suspect that the 101,000 mile service may have over-stressed the radiator causing a weakening of a weld that finally burst.

Here is a link to an article (that I found after the failure mode was identified to me by the service center where I took the car after the overheat event) that might explain it better:

http://www.ehow.com/info_12228013_an...ion-fluid.html

My main reason in posting this is to warn others of the condition; possibly even GM Service Personnel who might want to help their customers maintain the longevity their vehicles; I was looking forward to a couple or three years without a payment!!!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

That definitely falls into the bracket of "el sucko mas grande".

Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Understand your frustration, but it has nothing to do with the LOW coolant light.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Default Coolant Message in Information Center

I was responding to rpgibbs original posted condition: "...getting a "Coolant" notice in the information center..."

Not a Coolant Light.

I posted this to provide a "heads-up" to other 2007 Saturn Ion owners. Take it for what it's worth.

My final post on the topic...

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2007 Saturn Ion - Coolant Warning