2006 Saturn Ion - Low Power Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 PM

to be old enough to rent a car carrier...

Old 02-16-2015, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

.........................And whispered in the sound of silence. ..................... (S&G)

Old 02-16-2015, 12:16 AM

Bahaha

Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Demon, you are lurking in the shadows of your own thread.....
Why, I ask......why is is this so........

What is your honest opinion of this forum after tonight's experience?(kinda hard, we didn't get too technical but you can poke around and see what you think before answering.

We clown around alot during the dry spells when no one's saturn is broken or no one new has joined with a problem.

Aside from being a bunch of politically incorrect late night clowns, all of us regulars have our own specialties. I pretend mine is S cars. Goalie's an Ion man. Bones is ...well you haven't met him yet -- I haven't figured him out yet -- he's complicated. Sw2 spans both S and Ions. Rube is S and now has an L. We are the late night crowd.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:33 AM

Not lurking I was just getting some sleep in. My personal opinion of this forum is that it's extremely helpful, I'm having to wait till I get back to my parent's place this weekend to be able to remove the TB and TPS and clean them. Since I don't have the tools necessary here, unless ya'll think Autozone or some other auto store would be willing to lend me the tools.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Just mesin'. saw you were still logged in last night...

That ranks up there in terms of silliness around here --- we do actually talk tech stuff...like "easy errors"

Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM

I have a feeling you are poking fun at my first bit of research, but are there "easy errors?"

Do you guys suggest cleaning the MAF? I used to have to go on back roads quite often, so there was a lot of dirt. Also, the car is 8 years old and it was used before my father passed it down to me, and we know the dude didn't know much (like myself.)

Last edited by D3m0n3y; 02-16-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Demon,

You're overthinking things. I'm not making fun of you;

You took the initiative to research a solution for what ails your ride. Most people just drive it to a shop and get cash-ripped for a $5 5 min fix.

You, having found some information, took the logical next step and sought out other opinions. You joined our forum. You posted what you found elsewhere and asked us what we thought.

Clearly, we thought that the info in that post was lacking in practicality and devoid of any sign of technical knowledge.

That is not YOUR fault. I just keep making fun of it (not you) because it sounds so ignoramish.

We are glad you realized it was goofy, went looking elsewhere for better information, and came to us for help.

Let us know when you're ready to get started and one of the Ion dudes can give you some tips.

As for the MAF -- again a question for an Ion guy. S cars have MAPs which I leave alone until there's a problem since you don't want to wreck the seals on those.

PS: Trust me, you'll know when we're pickin' on ya ...just remember, it's all in good fun, and you can dish it right back (within reason). We are far from stuffy and politically correct here as you've already seen....

Enjoy the journey.........and again, welcome.....

Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Again, you will learn to ignore Derf

I was actually thinking about this thread a few minutes ago, I logged in on the Redline Forums, and someone posted about the same thing, see how common?

And yes. You can clean the MAF. Get some MAF cleaner, or even rubbing alcohol, and put it on a paper towel, and gently pat/wipe it down when its removed. That will help read the air flow better as well, which is part of the issue.
While youre in there, check out your air filter, too.

So while youre in there, this is what I would do:
Clean the intake tubing
Clean MAF
Clean/check/replace Air Filter
SCRUB the throttle body

Doing this should help out tremendously.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 PM

Awesome, thanks derf and Goaliemo! By the way, derf does have a point about me getting close to over thinking. Anyway, I have it noted in my maintenance list along with your extra suggestions. Speaking of which, I'm actually getting a new air filter tomorrow because I have been stupendously lackadaisical about replacing it... I shudder to think of the horror that is my air filter.

Having to look up how to clean the intake tubing, I've never heard of doing such a thing...

Quick Reply: 2006 Saturn Ion - Low Power Mode?