2005 Ion3 - sputtering and low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Default 2005 Ion3 - sputtering and low RPM

i found this related thread: https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-l-series-sedans-wagons-26/lw300-problems-7317/
after searching fault codes that a repair shop found today on my car - P1516 and P2101. These codes point toward throttle issues or accelerator pedal sensor or similar. i started driving to work this a.m. (20 degrees in Dallas), and reached a stop sign about 1.5 miles from home and when i tried to accelerate the car acted like someone pulled 3 of my plug wires off. Max RPM is now ~1500, top speed from that point is about 20-25mph. flashers on, then i drive to local Kwik Kar (they're a good shop). They notice the exhaust was cutting out and when i told him my check engine light had come on, he said "take it to a muffler shop - you have a clogged cat converter." Muffler shop i use is also good / honest. They read the codes and gave the exhaust system a clean bill of health.

3rd stop, a diagnostic full svc repair shop across the street. They checked it out & gave me the 2 fault codes above, and then stated that since the car was cranking with low voltage from their diags, that i should replace the battery. They charge $90 for diags and $230 to install a good battery. I am picking up the car in a couple hours and will pay the $90 & leave. Now researching what type battery i need & will go buy it myself. This battery is at least 4 years old, so i have no issue replacing.

Anyone else have this happen? I am banking on the diag shop being correct & hoping the low voltage is disabling some throttle capabilities from the computer. Will post back later with update.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM

I haven't had that happen, but suspect you can find a good battery for a lot less than that price, so good for you. When's the last time you did a good tune up on it, cleaned the throttle body and have you ever used a fuel injector cleaner in your gas? I can highly recommend the Techron brand. You can purchase it at your local Walmart cheaper than the parts stores sell it. I do catch a two for one sale on it from time to time at my local Advance Auto Parts store and then I'll buy it there.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Banned

I have been having the exact same problem with my 05 Saturn Ion3 recently. I was away for 3 weeks and left my car in freezing weather, and when I came back it was sputtering a lot with low RPM with some exhaust problems. Hardly ever have problems with my car and everything was good before it got cold and I left for 3 weeks.

Have you found a solution to your problem? I'm going to check the throttle body and bought a fuel injector cleaner. Did this solve your problem?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 AM

Sounds like you guys may have some water in your gas. You can get some water removal stuff at your friendly auto parts store. I'd also recommend a good throttle body cleaning and some Techron.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 AM

Youngest Daughter came home a few days ago saying her 2007 2.2L ION was loosing power while driving, also said it was sputtering. So I "CLEANED"! the throttle body. All is good..

Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 PM

You the man, Rj!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Most common thing modern cars need so it's the first thing I did......cleared the codes light didn't return car runs fine. 106,000 on the car and it's the only thing thats been done other than oil changes. That said she told me the drivers door does not lock or unlock electronically, key only. Could be an open circuit or bad actuator. We have different days off and work different hours so I'll look at it when I look at it.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Guys, sorry late getting back. thanks for the feedback. I replaced the battery since it was 4 years old and since fault codes were present even later that day per the diag shop. So, i bought a battery (NAPA legend 7575). removed old battery and cleaned up the trunk a bit (no corrosion so good there), waited about an hour hoping this would clear any codes, then installed the new battery. We have had only warm weather in Dallas since then, so i can't be sure that cured the issue. But i've had smooth driving ever since w new battery. Check engine light is off
When's the last time you did a good tune up on it, cleaned the throttle body and have you ever used a fuel injector cleaner in your gas?
I like your idea here, and yes it's time for tune up & throttle body cleaning. Sunday, i added ~ 6oz Seafoam to oil crankcase in prep for changing it since my oil life system message came on a few days back (about 6.5k since last oil chg). But, i will purchase some Seafoam spray or something i find at the store that will clean the throttle body. thank you! i also have some B12 Chemtool fuel cleaner handy so will pour that in my gas tank. i will buy the Techron next time. If i become brave, i may wait to do any throttle / fuel cleaning until we drop below freezing again ... just to prove out whether it could've been the low voltage condition causing my problem. Hope the best for you guys, i'll post back if i learn anything else.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 PM

Since it seems to be doing okay right now, Dennis, why don't you wait until it gets cold again, like you said? I'm curious at to whether it's temperature related or if it was actually a low voltage issue too. Won't hurt to wait a little while, will it?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 PM

Okay, it happened again. same exact location as the first time car stalled after leaving the house on Jan 7th. Symptoms a bit different this time - no sputtering or low rpms. Car just died ... stalled while trying to accelerate from a stop sign, and i pulled off on the grass. tried to restart a couple times but nothing. Turned off everything, pulled key out of cylinder lock ... waited about a full minute and just enjoyed the cold 25 degree weather for a bit. This time it started right up, and took off with no sputtering. so only thing different from Jan 7th is that the rpms are normal and power normal - no sputtering or hesitating. It didn't die the rest of the 19 miles to work, and when i started the car to go home this afternoon, no problems at all. But check engine light is on and fault codes are same (P1516 and P2101).

Bought a can of Seafoam spray and will be cleaning intake / throttle body soon as possible. I think i'll just disconnect battery for awhile after the cleaning. that seemed to clear the codes last time. will post back soon i hope.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ion3 - sputtering and low RPM