2005 Ion crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 01:36 PM
Default 2005 Ion crank no start

I'm working on a 2005 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 2.2L, manual, with a crank no start. It has the following codes:
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P0068 MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation

Before I fire the parts cannon and replace the crank sensor and the the MAP sensor, any words of advice - things I should check first, crank sensor relearn procedure? Thanks!

Old 11-02-2023, 02:21 PM

A bad CKP would definitely keep an engine from starting, but I'm not sure a bad MAP sensor would. The P0068 and P0106 both indicate that the ECM is not satisfied with the reported vs calculated airflow/intake manifold pressure. I would check the throttle body for accumulation of carbon and throttle plate condition, and check the MAF sensor for obstructions or dirt. (I'm not sure you can do a CKP relearn procedure if you can't get the engine running.)

Old 11-07-2023, 11:25 AM

I replaced the crank sensor and MAP sensor with OEM ACDelco parts. It fired right up and runs fine except it has a high idle, about 1700 RPM. Using a Foxwell NT510, I reduced the engine speed to 700 RPM, and the idle stayed there after restarting, but then in the morning the idle went right back up to 1700. I did clean the throttle body while it was out for the MAP sensor, using B12 Chemtool throttle body cleaner. From what I can tell, this car does its throttle relearn automatically during KOEO. The Foxwell doesn't have a throttle body relearn, but it does have a crank relearn. But when I try to run that, I just get a "device limits exceeded" message.
Anybody had this high idle situation before?

Old 11-07-2023, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

My bad memory and lack of knowledge in general about ions still seems to recall that you need to do an idle / throttle relearn procedure. Try searching for one on the net. My answer is regarding ion questions are wrong 90% of the time but this one has a chance.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:22 PM

Are you getting any codes? Such as P0505 to P0511, which deal with the idle air control (IAC) valve? When you cleaned the throttle body, did you remove the IAC valve and clean the pintle and the port where it seats. If there is carbon build up there, it may keep the pintle from seating fully, and enough carbon may keep the pintle from moving fully.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldmarine
Are you getting any codes? Such as P0505 to P0511, which deal with the idle air control (IAC) valve? When you cleaned the throttle body, did you remove the IAC valve and clean the pintle and the port where it seats. If there is carbon build up there, it may keep the pintle from seating fully, and enough carbon may keep the pintle from moving fully.
No codes yet. This car doesn't appear to have a separate IAC. Here's the throttle body, am I missing something?

Old 11-07-2023, 06:27 PM

No. You have the electronic throttle body, where the IAC, the throttle actuator, and the throttle position sensor are all incorporated into the throttle body. Ions transitioned from the cable operated throttle bodies to the electronic throttle bodies early in 2005. The eight wire connector is the confirmation. The jury is out on whether a factory tool relearn procedure is required. Most sources advise varying periods of idling, driving at normal speed, or running three minutes, shutting off, and repeating x number of times. I'd suggest giving it a few days of normal driving and see if it settles in.

(Hopefully, that picture was taken before you cleaned the throttle body. It's still showing a lot of carbon and deposits.)

Last edited by oldmarine; 11-07-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldmarine
No. You have the electronic throttle body, where the IAC, the throttle actuator, and the throttle position sensor are all incorporated into the throttle body. Ions transitioned from the cable operated throttle bodies to the electronic throttle bodies early in 2005. The eight wire connector is the confirmation. The jury is out on whether a factory tool relearn procedure is required. Most sources advise varying periods of idling, driving at normal speed, or running three minutes, shutting off, and repeating x number of times. I'd suggest giving it a few days of normal driving and see if it settles in.

(Hopefully, that picture was taken before you cleaned the throttle body. It's still showing a lot of carbon and deposits.)
Thanks! LOL no, that is the after picture. The whole thing was solid black and gooped up when I started. I was definitely going for better, not perfect. Transitioning a falling-apart car from falling apart motionless to falling apart while driving. Back to the owner now, hopefully I won't see it again.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:38 PM

Well, you did the big one -- you got it running again, and no codes! Good job.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:00 AM

You need to clean that throttle body again. You can use a soft bristle tooth brush to clean it with. Just be sure to clean the tooth brush before you give it back to your wife or kid. LOL