04 Ion, pretty sure head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Default 04 Ion, pretty sure head gasket

Alrightyyy guys, my sisters 04 Ion- just rolled 112k

Came home tonight, said her car sounded like it was still running (the 18 year old, just learning how to drive comment)
So I asked her if she turned it off, being the smart*** I am.

Went out to look, fans were on full force, got in to check and make sure she turned everything off, noticed the temp needle was over the half mark.

Bonestock- Not sure about your Ion, but in both my cars the needle sits slightly under the half mark at full warmed up.

Took it around the block to check for smoke, needle shot up to almost the danger zone. No smoke though.
Figured it was the thermostat, ok, easy fix...Until the coolant light comes on. Pull back in the driveway, pop the hood, coolant tank is empty and no sign of leaking anywhere.

Assuming the start of a bad head gasket, opinions?

Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

it would have to be a small coolant leak that would have to be sneaking into an oil passage and missing the cyls for it to be a head gasket and not smoke out the tailpipe. If that were the case you should see the milkshake on the dipstick.

Might be a bad reservoir cap and coolant snuck out and boiled off everything in the reservoir (and who knows how much more until you refill it) BEFORE you got a hold of it; so when you drove it there was no exhaust smoke and no sign of a leak b/c it boiled off due to the pressure leak in the system at the reservoir cap. A refill and an extended idle over some part of the yard w weeds should shed some light. Wouldn't have her drive it till you check this, since if the cap is bad, the same thing will happen and if she does not stop soon enough she will risk a meltdown

or your garden variety small leak that gets blown back onto the frame and such and you can't usually find it w out getting under the car w a really bright work light

Old 07-10-2015, 06:37 AM

I agree with derf. I don't think it's a blown head gasket since there's no white smoke. Double check the radiator and dipstick for the dreaded milkshake look, but I'm more inclined to believe what derf has said.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Well guys, she neglected to tell me she bottomed out. Cracked the corner of the radiator clean off, cracked the bracket, and almost split the air damn in two.

Not things I could see 11 o clock last night.

She asked me how much to fix all that. Went over the price list for all new parts, and she looked upset.
Then asked her if she realized I have all the parts in the backyard, and told her ill do the entire job for a 6-pack.
Made her feel a little better.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 AM

Gee, men will do anything nowadays with a smile from a cute girl and some beer! Best dad ever!

Old 07-10-2015, 11:09 AM

That's my sister bro. I strongly believe in the family first concept.
Yea, I could make a good chunk selling what she broke, but she isn't just gonna buy me a 6 pack.
She will be helping me do the work. Neither of my sisters WANT to work on cars, but they are going to learn how to fix simple things so a shop doesn't screw them later on.

Example- Showed both my sisters how to change spark plugs. They both said "damn, that's easy". Then I informed them those spark plugs cost me $30 and 10 minutes of my life.
Asked them if they knew what are shop charges, and they were shocked when I told them a shop will charge about $100 for plugs. From that point on they have watched me do simple basic repairs, even if they don't want to.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by goaliemo
That's my sister bro.
what a dad.....

yeah, I guess that falls under "general leak" category. Nice to know your siblings are unwillingly willing to help you repair their stuff. They do not realize how much they ARE learning by visual osmosis and swinging a ratchet or two.

Hands-on knowledge can only be learned with hands on.

Theory of operation? At their pace, to their advantage

Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 PM

Exactly. Do I have a short temper? yes. Do they get in the way? yes.

But someone has to teach them. They will see how easy this stuff is.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:14 AM

Stay with it, Billy. They'll appreciate it in due time.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:37 PM

I know they will. Just a matter of time.