Whine

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

35R wave plate failure shows up as shift flares from 3-4h and 5-6th, often accompanied by a loss of reverse. All three have to occur or the extended 10/100,00 warranty will not be honored. Often throws tranny P codes.

I'm far from a tranny guy, but I always assumed that whining came from a dying fluid pump in the tranny. Once that goes far enough down hill, not enough line pressure to switch gears or get the clutch packs to go and stay where they are supposed to stay. I believe 3rd gear is the tranny failsafe mode so it does not have to try to shift with insufficient pressure. I think the question will be whether other stuff in the tranny got wrecked in the process,

6T70's are all through the GM line. I'd definitely NOT get a 2008 or 2009 if you sourced a sed one. 2008 was the 1st year and all were built with the 35R timebomb. Don't know when they changed to the redesigned waveplate.

Some of the above may be true --some may not, especially the diagnosis, but If you were driving in 3rd and the rpms were not shooting up and returning to normal then I doubt it is the 35R issue. But don't quote me.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:10 AM

Plymouth? What type Plymouth do you have? I'm an old Mopar man.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Charlie, I'm an old Mopar guy too.

My Plymouth is nothing too exotic. Just a '95 Neon Sport Coupe optioned with performance in mind. 5sp, 4 wheel disks, 5 bolt hubs, DOHC of course. And it's a 2 door. Fun to drive

Old 09-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Any updates on the satty?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:15 PM

Derf'
The Aura is still sitting on the driveway, and I'm trying to scare up some money. Retired, so I only get paid once a month. Keeping two houses afloat while I leisurely move yo the new place is draining me.Stay tuned I'll update when something happens.

When you wrote this;
"35R wave plate failure shows up as shift flares from 3-4h and 5-6th, often accompanied by a loss of reverse. All three have to occur or the extended 10/100,00 warranty will not be honored. Often throws tranny P codes."
Do I have any warranty?
The Mazda dealer gave me a 3yr/30,000 mile warranty, but that expired 2,000+ miles ago.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry.
The warranty I referenced is an extended GM warranty specifically for the 35R issue. Should have been more specific.

You can always check w the Mazda dealer about goodwill -- you never know.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:04 AM

Derf has done extensive research on the wave plate issue, Casey. If you do a search here, you'll find a LOT of information. I sure hope the place that sold it too you will do something, but don't hold your breath. Maybe try a local GM dealership and see what happens. I had a Neon several years ago. Mine had the Dodge nameplate, but still the same car. I rarely see a Plymouth of any type nowadays and got excited. One of my favorite cars that I have owned was a 64 Sport Fury. Body was beat all to hell but it would fly. I had a 383 with a four speed manual and a Carter AFT four barrel. I still miss that car sometimes.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

To be more specific, I have lived the 35R waveplate failure on a 2008 Vue XR.
Pretty sure the 6T70 is your tranny, like the Vue.
I believe the Outlook was a 6T75.

Same family, same generation, 2008 first production year. Normally I do not buy new vehicles that are 1st year of a new design but this was the exception. And guess what happened?

If it is the issue and you get the car back and it vibrates like a cheap motel bed, the transmission mount is in 90 degrees relative to the orientation it should be in. A full time tranny shop screwed that up and apparently never test drove it above 25 mph.
One of the few times I have ever screamed at a service writer in my life, as I had specifically asked him on the phone if someone had test driven it after the tranny shop before I left my house and took off work to get the vehicle. He said yes.
He lasted 3 weeks at the dealership and was canned.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:41 AM

Change the fluid in the trans to begin with. From what I’ve read, most honing isn’t a common 6T70 issue... does it shift okay, give normal fuel mileage?

Old 11-24-2019, 10:06 AM

This thread was dormant for over a year. But to answer Memboos, gas mileage did fall a bit, but no, it did not shift normally. I'm too old to remove a transmission on my driveway myself, I got the money together, and had a factory manufactured transmission installed which has a three year warranty. I try to take care of the minor things, and except for this incident the car has been nice and reliable with only minor annoyances to keep me reading the forum and occasionally asking for help.

Quick Reply: Whine