New to Saturn

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Default New to Saturn

Last Friday I bought a low-mileage 2008 (41k) Aura XR from a dealer. Really nice condition, fair price.
In using it over the weekend, I've had issues with the Tire Pressure Monitor, but that's to be expected in an 8 year old car.
Thing that freaks me out though is the thunk in the steering column in low speed parking maneuvers. On the road it's fine.
My mechanic says this is typical, and had a customer with a Pontiac G6 that had the same issue. He says it's only in the column, and is not a safety hazard.
Anyone else experience this?

Old 03-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Moved to Aura section

Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 AM

Had similar noise with my daughter's '07 Aura (56K miles) and it turned out to be the sway bar links.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:43 PM

My salesman called a couple days later, and asked if all was well. I brought the steering clunk up to him, and he said to bring it in.
They had it for 4 days, and ended up putting in a new steering shaft. Apparently, there's a grease fitting in a joint between the firewall and rack that no one sees and is almost always overlooked.
Must find it when I change the oil.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:11 PM

That is good to know, (especially since there isn't any warranty left) first thing I'm going to check this weekend when she will be home with the car.

Thanks!
Art

Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know if this is relevant, but I believe there was a huge issue with the some of the 2007 2008 GM vehicles where the intermediate steering shaft would develop these kinds of noises, along with moans.

I believe they traced it to the intermediate steering shaft.

Of course, other clunks from other places will have other sources

Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 AM

The intermediate shaft was exactly what they replaced. I ran the car by my local mechanic who said it was a chronic problem with those GM models. He also added it was just an annoyance, not a safety issue. The dealer said there a grease fitting on it that gets ignored, so how safe is a clunking, worn joint? Sounds to me like it was heading for failure.