Car starts; Security Light comes on after a minute or two

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 01:19 PM
Default Car starts; Security Light comes on after a minute or two

My issue is pretty much what the title states. The key fob works to unlock/lock/panic, etc. When the car is started, it runs fine for the most part; however, sometimes the anti-theft light will come on and then while driving all gauges drop to zero then resume as normal. It will do this intermittently. What the cause of the anti-theft light is is unsure as it is not constant and I am using a key directly from Saturn and programmed at the GM Dealership. This problem is driving me mad, though. (In addition to some other issues.)

The car is a 2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L (V6), for additional information.

Any info to resolve this nonsense would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds like a BCM problem to me, might be dealer time. Your Aura is similar to many GM cars of that year but is nothing like my L series.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would begin by starting the vehicle and let it idle while timing exactly how long it takes for the security light to come on. Do this several times to see if is reproducible.

The key is a transponder key. It's possible the transponder is defective or the receiver in the column is defective.

Both the security system and the dash are driven by the body control module (BCM). You need a code scanner (not reader) to access B codes (body). I expect you will have BCM codes which will she'd some light on the situation. AutoZone reads only the P codes so a visit there will not help.

Ordinarily we would just say BCM failing but the vehicle keeps running after the security light comes on, so not really sure.

The must be a transponder based security system relearn procedure for GM. You could try that. Sorry but I don't know how. Might also be a dealer only function