Car locks going up and down randomly

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alpha Centauri

Now, about that window seal. You can try stuffing a small piece of plastic, say trash bag or sandwich baggie (without the zip-seal) in-between the drip rail or body and the seal. Not so much the seal won't go back in place, but enough to close the gap. Depending on the seal, you should be able to pull it down just enough to poke some plastic behind it. Not a big lump in one place, but try several folds, say 3 or 4 flat folds maybe 1/2 wide, and a foot or so long, placed it just above the switch assembly. Next cover or tape something over the switch buttons like a rag, or another piece of plastic to keep them from getting wet again, and hose the window down to see if it seals properly. If not, try a bigger piece. I would do this before you get the new switch installed...then you're all set!
Such a creative $0.02 fix to a $$ damage causing problem.
Gonna go try that on my 95 (the door gaskets are pretty wasted and there are is 1 drip spot on either side.) Doesn't help that the car was designed with no rain guides on the roof above the windows.....

Thank you Alpha

Old 05-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Default BCM and Anti-Theft modules

Hey Hey Derf! Thank you so much for the compliments! Yes, you are correct, B followed by 4 digits are body codes, in Ford Trucks a GEM (generic electrical module) contains body codes as well as 4X4 transfer case codes. P codes can be either engine or transmission related codes, and codes starting with U are internal computer codes or Data bus codes. Data bus codes can be set in any module, or several at the same time since Data bus is the communication between controllers, computers and modules. Some Chevy Cadillac's have over 30 modules! Doors, seats, cluster, lights, brakes, traction control, stability control, etc...If it serves a function, there is a module for that, lol!

Yes, it is true for all manufacturers that produce vehicles containing BCM's and Anti-Theft modules. Lower end vehicles usually don't have these systems yet. The one's that do have a BCM and Anti-Theft modules all set and store codes, they also have a data stream, and Bused Data between each other and the ECM, ECU, TCM and or PCM. They will not turn on a light when codes are set like the check engine for emission's, or like the ABS module, traction control or stability control...which bye the way will be standard in everything in a few more years! They do not turn on warning lights because they are not a safety issue, will not effect the safe operation of the vehicle, or contaminate the environment...to a point.

Here's something to ponder. One of the biggest expenses auto manufacturers face is the rising cost of copper. In order to meet growing demands on emission standards, fuel economy regulations and safety standards, computer systems are becoming exponentially more complicated. So, more and more they are containing relays and switches inside these modules in order to cut down-on the cost of all the wiring involved in making all these systems work, and work more efficiently. I think with the introduction of all the Hybrid's now days, I believe soon we will fiber optics replacing all wiring in vehicles, and everything will be controlled by modules for the most part. Now I've really got you thinking...

Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 AM

Thanks! I hope it works for you, Derf.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
IF that model has a separate BCM (body control module) it can be a place to start. Usually a corroded or loose plug connector can be the culprit. Sometimes just unplugging and plugging it back in several times can "sweep" the contacts clean and clear the problem. If it doen't have a BCM, then I don't have any suggetions. Sorry.
where is this is found

Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2009-saturn-aura-bcm

http://www.answers.com/Q/Location_of_the_BCM_in_a_2007_Saturn_Aura

Front left or right side of the center console

Old 08-27-2018, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

You're welcome.

Compliments of an obscure internet tool called Google and 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. 4 if you count this reply you'll likely never read

Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

I read it, Thanks!

Old 08-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

No problem

Old 05-11-2019, 05:13 AM
Default Same problem with the locks

I think my problem is the lock switch on the passenger side due to accidentally leaving the window once in the rain having replaced it yet it's been doing that for along while just havent had the money but mine doesn't always do it like the last couple days with the Michigan weather Its been doing it once the weather warms up it will stop it has before which is weird cuz it didnt even do it all winter

Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Water freezes -- ice is not as good an electrical conductor

Quick Reply: Car locks going up and down randomly