Worth Reparing? 09 Astra XE

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by AstralSeer
My astra has 130k kms (80k miles) and is in need of some repairs:

1. Timing belt due (how far can I push it?)
2. New struts <- my mechanic might be over exaggerating the need to fix this
3. Rear shocks leaking <- my mechanic might be over exaggerating the need to fix this
4. Front breaks and rotors
5. Set of summer tires

I was quoted $3200 CAD to fix all this from a mechanic.

From what I can tell, a 2009 Astra goes for ~$2000 CAD on the high end with the millage I have on it so far.

I'm at a loss as to what to do as I can't really afford a $3200 repair. I'm considering driving into the ground but with the low KM, it seems like a waste if my belt were to go.

If I were to keep up repairs on the Astra, how many miles/km could I expect, generally speaking, to get out of it?

The car feels solid otherwise, just normal maintenance items that have come up.

I'd like to try fix some of this myself this summer. I am not a mechanic by any means and would be learning. I do my own oil changes, replaced spark plugs, change my own tires, changed the coil pack and have replaced an axel on a Toyota. I'd be at the mercy of youtube tutorials and help from fine people like you. I'm a seasoned professional computer tech and have an eye to troubleshooting and fixing things. I generally trust myself, though I would consider myself an amateur when it comes to fixing vehicles.

What would you do in my situation? Looking for honest feedback!
The timing belt on mine has about 138,000 miles and has never been replaced since I bought it at 67,000 miles. It still "looks good", for whatever that is worth. I have heard of one fail at about 150,000 miles, luckily thing whole engine did not fail with it. So what I am trying to say is that mine is due, yours, not so much. Rear shocks are inexpensive and readily available, same as a Chevy Cobalt?. Front rotors and pads are also inexpensive and readily available, my rears were replaced, and rotors resurfaced at 68,000 miles. The fronts were replaced at 98,000 miles and then the rotors also resurfaced. My rear brakes are again due, with new rotors this time, at 138,000 miles. Your struts could be nearing replacement. But probably not, it's your own call. Could you replace this car for less money than repairing it? Again it's your call.