Astra trunk question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 06:38 PM
Default Astra trunk question

Hi folks - can anyone identify the purpose of the elastic cord on the passenger side of the trunk wall and the twin rubber fittings in the hatchback cover?

What fits here?

What are these for?

Old 04-07-2024, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

That strap is a Colt45 holder (the beverage)

Old 04-07-2024, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

The hatch cover thing looks like the underside of a handle. Maybe they handle is made by gluing two pieces of otherwise discarded rubber to a plastic piece and jamming it in the hole to make a handle.

Or not.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions - you may very well be correct - I have no idea. I wondered if there was a first aid kit that might be tucked into the elastic/cubby and I thought the rubber fittings might have been a cover of some kind. I may have to head to the scrap yard and pull things apart a bit to discover more. Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

On my L series the strap is to hold the spare tire cover up for access.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:28 PM

The elastic strap is for the GM/Opel First Aid kit. No kidding, I bought one from Saturn in 2009 after purchasing my new Astra. It is medium blue in color with white print, about 8 inches by 4 inches by 3 inches, or something metric for the rest of the world. Apparently Germany and Europe in general are more safety conscious than North America. My kit has long since expired, there is an expiration date, but it still looks cool just attached to the side wall. Hey, I have every option/accessory available to this car, save for automatic transmission and wheel locks. The two rubber thingys are just to help keep the cargo cover from rattling when driving over rough roads.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:49 PM

The strap is for a first aid kit. The rubber cushions act as sound dampeners for the cargo cover. Please post this!

Old Today, 08:32 AM

08XR - thank you very much for resolving the mystery! Now I am on the hunt for a first aid kit! Bruce

Old Today, 10:24 AM

Had my xr for just over 10 yrs bought off original owner. Dont think I even seen that strap much less first aid kit ? Wow, good to know.

Are you attempting to restore to original?

Old Today, 10:33 AM

Hi Banton - yes I am trying to restore to original. I have the upgraded rubber floor mats, the cable for the block heater, the original Saturn Astra brochure etc. it is fun trying to find all the parts to complete the car. I think I may have found the first aid kit in Lithuania on line but hoping to find something closer.

Quick Reply: Astra trunk question