Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn 3 Door Coupes (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/)
-   -   What did you do to your S series today? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/what-did-you-do-your-s-series-today-10265/)

Merica 01-17-2016 08:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I took mine fishing!

Attachment 1042

Attachment 1043

Attachment 1044

derf 01-18-2016 12:27 AM

Last Monday, I drove down to Maryland to meet up w an old friend.
This was my first highway trip in the 97 sc2 since getting the caster adjusted, which was not inexpensive, requiring elongation of the upper strut mount slots and the elongation of the lower strut mount holes.

Camber, toe, and caster were finally all in spec for the first time in probably a decade. Why? Because most alignment shops claim there is no caster adjustment so they either don't measure it or don't tell you what the measurements are, because if it is out, then you'll want them to fix it, and they don't want to get involved because it requires someone who knows what they are doing.

Anyway, man what a difference! The sensitivity of the steering is restored, and it handles like a dream. And no vibrations through the steering column up to about 80. So many funky vibes just flat out disappeared, presumably because some static stresses that were on the frame were being transferred to the steering and suspension---and by fixing the caster, many of those stresses were relieved.

Now I can hear noises from the back that I never could.....yay

derf 01-25-2016 06:17 PM

Today I drove my 97SC2 with the mega emergency metal key that has no head and lives in a plastic sleeve. The one given to me by Saturn when I bought the car 18 years ago.

Never touched until today.

I moved all my spares (1) somewhere.

Which one of you took my friggin' keys?

Update: Bones hid them inside a glove in my leather jacket's pocket -- where nothing is ever put except gloves.
And I hardly ever use those gloves anyway.

mandee_07 01-27-2016 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 53170)
Today I drove my 97SC2 with the mega emergency metal key that has no head and lives in a plastic sleeve. The one given to me by Saturn when I bought the car 18 years ago.

Never touched until today.

I moved all my spares (1) somewhere.

Which one of you took my friggin' keys?

Update: Bones hid them inside a glove in my leather jacket's pocket -- where nothing is ever put except gloves.
And I hardly ever use those gloves anyway.

I told him to do it! 😝

19bonestock88 01-27-2016 11:35 PM

I always do as my master commands, lol

derf 01-28-2016 12:04 AM

Sometimes, I'm really not sure why I continue to associate with you people

mandee_07 01-29-2016 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 (Post 53189)
I always do as my master commands, lol

Haha I love this kid!!!!

mandee_07 01-29-2016 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 53194)
Sometimes, I'm really not sure why I continue to associate with you people

Because we're insanely awesome. Plus we're all sexy beasts. We gotta stick together. Lol

Dave4422 01-29-2016 04:49 PM

Driving around today, it felt like it needs some oil, so let's pop the hood! Yes, for all you new Saturn owners, when you've driven around enough in your Saturn, you'll know by how the engine runs if it needs oil! Weird huh? Welcome to Saturn ownership!

Oil looks a tad low (Understatement of the Year-2016).

Add a quart. Perfect! (Insert Derf rant about running DOHC engines low on oil here.)

Low on washer fluid.

Coolant looks ok.

Brake fluid looks a tad low but still ok. (I admit I'm a bit colorblind so I'm terrible at diagnosing fluid condition by color.)

Air filter is clean.

Belt looks ok, but there's a new squeak that happens at warm idle. Something the pros need to look into next oil change.

Close hood. Good for another 1000 miles.

derf 01-29-2016 09:42 PM

idler pulley or belt tensioner if it is coming from that area, or a pulley bearing
Also is that the original serp belt on there?